86 spree carb question. I found a hole...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

I found what looks like some sort of tube connector on my carb that isnt connected to anything. I bought it on craigslist and have put about 360 miles on it since I got it.

I have always had trouble keeping it idling so maybe this hole has something to do with that problem because when I plug that hole it revs up all the way as if I was pulling the throttle.

Another thing that might be related is that it has very little hill climbing/takeoff capability after it warms up and better, but still below average, (have ridden other sprees) climbing/takeoff power while cool.

Check out the pictures and tell me what you think. I also took a video of what happens when I plug the hole and I will be posting that on youtube later if we haven't figured this whole thing out by the time I wake from my nap. :nervous:
Attachments
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG (190.92 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG (198.37 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 86 spree carb question. I found a hole...

Post by abreen89 »

that hole that you plug it just an air vent.. is your idle mixture screw out 1 3/4 turns? An if your drain is leaking you need to replace it
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Why would there be a totally exposed air vent though? What would the point be in having an air filter? It looks like it needs a tube connected to it and plugging it really makes her go lol. Like what is the point in sealing a carb up good for suction and whatnot? I think it is supposed to have some sort of tube on it really. I almost feel like it should be plugged because it gets air from the airbox. I would really like to know why it goes full rpm when I plug that little sucker too.
Last edited by Pancake Sauce on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

You need to clean the carb

the pilot jet is blocked, that is why it idles worse when it warms up.

TC=Traverse?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Pancake Sauce wrote:Why would there be a totally exposed air vent though? What would the point be in having an air filter? It looks like it needs a tube connected to it and plugging it really makes her go lol.
An air vent by definition must be exposed to the atmosphere, so question one is irrelevant. You don't want it exposed, put a hose on it. Oh and don't plug the other end of the hose, remember it is a VENT!

Plugging it cause the carb to draw more fuel than it is suppose to, don't do it, it screws up the carb function.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Trafficjamz wrote:You need to clean the carb

the pilot jet is blocked, that is why it idles worse when it warms up.

TC=Traverse?
Yes, Traverse. I have been planning on cleaning the carb but haven't had the cash to buy new gaskets for it so didn't see a point in opening it up. I have the cash now so I suppose I will have to just clean it.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Pancake Sauce wrote:Why would there be a totally exposed air vent though? What would the point be in having an air filter? It looks like it needs a tube connected to it and plugging it really makes her go lol.
An air vent by definition must be exposed to the atmosphere, so question one is irrelevant. You don't want it exposed, put a hose on it. Oh and don't plug the other end of the hose, remember it is a VENT!

Plugging it cause the carb to draw more fuel than it is suppose to, don't do it, it screws up the carb function.
Air filters. My argument stands. :hi:
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Pancake Sauce wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:

In over 55 years of working on carbs, the only vents with filters were on the offroad desert racers. Street machines and track race cars....NO!

FYI these carbs have o-rings, not gaskets and there are only aftermarket kits and not for most PA carbs.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

[/quote]

In over 55 years of working on carbs, the only vents with filters were on the offroad desert racers. Street machines and track race cars....NO!

FYI these carbs have o-rings, not gaskets and there are only aftermarket kits and not for most PA carbs.[/quote]

You claimed that my question was irrelevant due to the fact that air vents by definition must be exposed to the atmosphere, not that you almost never see filters in the moped vents. Filters do exist in vents, therefore my QUESTION was relevant until some other evidence, which you provided, were to answer the question. The question was valid for anybody who doesn't have 55 years of experience and happens to question things like exposed, unfiltered parts of a sealed unit. It is logical at the very least to ask somebody. My point in the end is that vents do have filters so the question wasn't irrelevant. You answered my question though. I won't plug it.

On another note, can't I order the o-rings on an OEM parts store? I saw some sites that sold whole 'gasket kits' for 86 spree carbs. I was hoping to snag them for like $10 so I wouldn't have to worry about opening up the carb. They still go bad over time like gaskets right? Would it be safe to just clean the carb and not worry about one crumbling and failing to seal it?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Pancake Sauce wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:

if you think you know it all dont ask the question... I have 3 bikes all with this style carb and all have air vents and are all open. Picture this when the engine is moving it sucks air and fuel through the carb the air comes through the air filter not the vent. the vent is just simply a vent meaning is allows air to come and go so that the pressure in the carb is right.. So the vent is NOT your problem so look else where. BTW ive never had to replace the gaskets on any of my carbs to clean them...... just clean the carb and inspect the gaskets if they look broekn or crumbling the replace them if not its good. USe this logic you claim to have.... If honda wantedd the vent to be filtered they WOULD HAVE PUT ONE ON. anyways good luck with your scoot :peace:
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Thanks I'll take the carb off tomorrow and hopefully have it idling and running good soon. Any suggestions on the best low cost solution I should use to clean it with when I get everything apart? It wouldn't be a problem to soak it in something for a couple days if that would do the best job for cheap.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Carb cleaner works the best I use a bucket of it an soak it over night after i completely disassemble it don't get carb clean on the gaskets not good for them go to wikispreedia an look in the carb cleaning
Section
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

I ran into a problem while taking carb off... There ate no wires coming from my auto choke thing. The black plastic next to the throttle barrel has just 2 little nipples on it with no wires. Could that be my problem? Is there a way to bypass the issue altogether? I still manage to start it up but perhaps the choke is always on and thats why it has no power when warmed up? Im just speculating. Any suggestions will help thanks.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

sounds like the the wires from the bystarter git yanked or pulled off? you cane ither buy new wires and rewire it or just get a new bystarter
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Do you think i can just ignore it for now and fix it later or does it cause problems after the spree is started without those wires?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80