86 spree carb question. I found a hole...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 86 spree carb question. I found a hole...

Post by Trafficjamz »

Pancake Sauce wrote:Do you think i can just ignore it for now and fix it later or does it cause problems after the spree is started without those wires?

The bystarter is a fuel enrichment circuit

If the wires are cut, the bystarter will always be in the retracted position, allowing more fuel to flow.

This will cause your scooter to run rich, when at proper running temps.

You should clean the carb with carb cleaner. The rubber gaskets should be ok to reuse
Pay special attention to the pilot circuit, it is very tiny, and the smallest bit of gunk can block it off.

If the wires are long enough, you could try to repair the wires on your bystarter.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

unfortunately there are ZERO wires coming from the bystarter so I guess I need to find a replacement. I didn't see a way to open it up and place new wires on it. I'm not even completely sure where it plugs into although I found an unused 2-prong plastic connector in the jumble of wires about 8 inches away.

After opening up the carb i did see some blockage in the tiny main jet holes. More importantly, I noticed immediately that the main jet screw was almost falling out, so it was not snug at all and gave the jet lots of play. Hopefully that was my problem because the rest of the carb looked pretty clean inside. I wish I knew if the pilot jet thing was clogged but it appears to be at an angle and I didn't notice. It now certainly allows passage of carb cleaner so crossing fingers.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Finished putting the moped back together. Your guides on wikispreedia were fantastic! I also cleaned and oiled the airbox and changed the spark plug with a proper gap. The gap in it from the previous owner was 0.2 mm :crazy: and my new plug is set within specs of 0.6 mm to 0.7 mm :2thumbs: .

1. My spree no longer leaks gas from the bowl drain screw (the o-ring was bad but removing the o-ring and screwing it in all the way fixed the problem as the o-ring was preventing a snug fit)

2. Idles perfectly, 30mph top speed on flats (I have a gates 7240 belt from local store in it)

I will be ordering the gasket set soon to replace that o-ring for the bowl drain screw, as well as the missing o-ring I noticed on the bystarter. I hope I can find a cheap bystarter in the near future.

Your guides and help has assisted me greatly and I appreciate the time you guys have given to such a great cause. Sprees are what life is all about after all. :lol:

I did run into one other snag with the throttle needle insertion, the first 5 tries didn't insert correctly and I almost thought it was right. Luckily I didn't screw it on that way as I'm sure it would have broken the needle. I had to just keep trying until the needle made it in the hole and the cylinder holding the needle was flush with the threads for the cap before screwing the cap on it. I hope this info helps somebody in the future.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Pancake Sauce wrote:Finished putting the moped back together. Your guides on wikispreedia were fantastic! I also cleaned and oiled the airbox and changed the spark plug with a proper gap. The gap in it from the previous owner was 0.2 mm :crazy: and my new plug is set within specs of 0.6 mm to 0.7 mm :2thumbs: .

1. My spree no longer leaks gas from the bowl drain screw (the o-ring was bad but removing the o-ring and screwing it in all the way fixed the problem as the o-ring was preventing a snug fit)

2. Idles perfectly, 30mph top speed on flats (I have a gates 7240 belt from local store in it)

I will be ordering the gasket set soon to replace that o-ring for the bowl drain screw, as well as the missing o-ring I noticed on the bystarter. I hope I can find a cheap bystarter in the near future.

Your guides and help has assisted me greatly and I appreciate the time you guys have given to such a great cause. Sprees are what life is all about after all. :lol:

I did run into one other snag with the throttle needle insertion, the first 5 tries didn't insert correctly and I almost thought it was right. Luckily I didn't screw it on that way as I'm sure it would have broken the needle. I had to just keep trying until the needle made it in the hole and the cylinder holding the needle was flush with the threads for the cap before screwing the cap on it. I hope this info helps somebody in the future.
\

glad to hear shes running good! check out this post for cheap alternatives too the oem bystarter. http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=24330
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

NO! Bystarter not closed, runs too rich at idle.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Bear45-70 wrote:NO! Bystarter not closed, runs too rich at idle.
Who's bystarter is not closed? Mine or the chinese ebay one? When i took my bystarter out it looked like it was pretty far out. I remember thinking that it should fit snug all the way in the hole when i put it back on the carb.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80