1999 Elite Starting issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

yadam84
Noob
Noob

Post by yadam84 »

I picked up a 1999 Elite 50 off of craigslist in the barter section for a trade of a fishing rod and nail gun... yeah, cheap!

I was told that "the battery was dead and that it needed to be kickstarted." Which works great if it has been sitting for a long time. The more times you start and stop it, the more you have to work at kick starting it. I ran out of gas on the way home and after filling it up, it wouldnt start back up. I pushed it home.

It has 750 total miles...

1. What is this worth in decent shape?

2. What is my starting issue? Battery? Starter?

3. Any good shops in Portland Oregon?

This is my first scooter, and i love it! but only when it starts! :twisted:

Let me know!

Thanks!

Adam
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

yadam84 wrote:I picked up a 1999 Elite 50 off of craigslist in the barter section for a trade of a fishing rod and nail gun... yeah, cheap!

I was told that "the battery was dead and that it needed to be kickstarted." Which works great if it has been sitting for a long time. The more times you start and stop it, the more you have to work at kick starting it. I ran out of gas on the way home and after filling it up, it wouldnt start back up. I pushed it home.

It has 750 total miles...

1. What is this worth in decent shape?

2. What is my starting issue? Battery? Starter?

3. Any good shops in Portland Oregon?

This is my first scooter, and i love it! but only when it starts! :twisted:

Let me know!

Thanks!

Adam
Good find and great deal. In decent running shape with plastics all in good shape you could get anywhere between $500-$750 I would say. I bought one in similar condition with the battery dead and kickstart only and once I cleaned the carb and replaced old fuel lines, it ran great. I would recommend taking information from the board and attempting to fix it up yourself before consulting a shop because the prices are outrageous. And if you decide you want to sell it, hold onto it for a few more months and I will buy it when I move to Seattle in jan!
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR