Engine doesn't want to work...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Engine doesn't want to work...

Post by JustynCRX »

1987 SE50P with Malossi BBK, CT chrome intake, 21mm oko. 38 pilot, 95 main. K&n filter, Leo Vince sp3 exhaust, ruckus variator with 7g weights.

Okay onto the problem... the engine is hard to start, and lacks a serious amount of power. When I had 9g weights on it would barely reach 300┬░ and take forever to get up to 40. I dropped the weights to 7 and I COULD sometimes get it up to 345┬░ but it would fly right up to 40/45mph. Tested the compression because it still wouldn't idle at all. Even with the throttle screw all the way in. It would only idle with the choke on. Lower screw is 1.5 turns out. So today I lowered the main jet to 95, I don't have any main jets lower than 38. That didn't work. Put in a new spark plug, still nothing. Changed the rings and got rid of the head gasket. Still nothing but compression went up to 120psi. Now I have even less power and can barely get my temps up to 245┬░. Speed and power are almost non existent.

Someone please tell me * is going on here. Normally I can figure out what is wrong but this is blowing my mind. It seems like whenever I do something that is supposed to bring my temp up it does the opposite. I ran this exact setup on a different engine until the oil seal blew and I was running a 45 pilot, and a 115 main and even then I would have to keep an eye on the temps.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Re: Engine doesn't want to work...

Post by JustynCRX »

I forgot to mention I also completely replaced the Carb with a brand new one with brand new jets.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Do you know what rpms your engine is hitting? Sounds like it could be a few problems. Have you done a leak down test yet also?
If its having problems idling I would do this. Turn the mixture screw all the way in, and your engine will die, turn the mixture screw all the way out, the engine will raise in rpms. If it doesnt do one of those two your pilot is not right. I would imagine it needs a bigger pilot or the clip needs to be raised. Its hard to say with out knowing a couple things.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

RPMs are very low. It won't even get up in the powerband. I went and changed the pilot to 42. Still nothing. I don't know how to do a leakdown test. I did re gasket the whole intake system with rtv when I re installed it. The base gasket is brand new too.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

what happens when you do what I said to try?
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

1. 38 pilot sounds too small to me. The fact that it ran better on choke, tells us that also. try 45ish

2. Put the head gasket back on! having no head gasket is a sure fire way to have air leaks.

3. have you taken the restriction out of your LV pipe. The restriction makes them run like poo.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Restrictor is out. I was thinking the same thing with the choke, but wouldn't the temps go sky high from running too lean on my 38? Any recommendations for my main jet? Head gasket is going back on when I get home. I ended up having to ride my bone stock sb50 down to NH instead of this one. FOUR HOURS! Kicked my aaassssss.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

LoveMyHonda wrote:what happens when you do what I said to try?
I don't know to do a leakdown test. The engine stalls out when the lower screw is screwed all the way in. Anything past one full turn out has no change in idle at all.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

JustynCRX wrote:Restrictor is out. I was thinking the same thing with the choke, but wouldn't the temps go sky high from running too lean on my 38? Any recommendations for my main jet? Head gasket is going back on when I get home. I ended up having to ride my bone stock sb50 down to NH instead of this one. FOUR HOURS! Kicked my aaassssss.

the temps would go sky high if you could get it to rev higher.

trust me on this one..... your jets are too small
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Oh no I trust you. You have FAR more experience in this stuff than me. I just over analyze and debate opposite views of almost everything. It helps me better understand the reasoning for doing something instead of just doing it because I was told to.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Do you have any recommendations for my main jet? Also what needle should I be using? I need to order another one for my other OKO that I took off. The needle clip ground so much off the grooves that it won't hold the needle. The top two grooves are completely ruined. The needle on the 21mm PWK is on the middle. (This is what's on the engine right now.)
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Dropped the pilot to my lowest jet (38) and it idles BEAUTIFULLY. However, it still won't rev up. It feels like the brake is on. (Definitely is not on) I tried using a known working coil. I tried every one of my main jets from 90-115. I also replaced the head gasket.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Looking at getting a whole new engine. That will be the third engine for this scoot.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

I believe I've found the culprit ...
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Base gasket was 90┬░ off. I'm such a moron.