Spree carb bowl question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Spree carb bowl question

Post by bigbaer »

On the carb bowl, I can't seem to get any flow out the small brass hole coming from the inset area where the bystarter goes. I've soaked it overnight in carb cleaner and used compressed air, but nothing. Is it OK to use a guitar string to try to loosen up whatever is in there, or will that cause damage?
'86 Spree, handed down from grandfather-in-law
scoot2er
BMX
BMX

Post by scoot2er »

Perfectly fine, do it. That's what I did.
What it is?
bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Post by bigbaer »

Alright, maybe this is a dumb question...I've been cleaning on this hole for a while, and when I look down there, it looks nice and shiny like brass. This SHOULD be a hole, right? If so, I'm thinking about taking a 1/32 inch drill bit and boring it out. I just need to be sure it's supposed to be a hole! Thanks for the help, everyone.
tonrogs
Goped
Goped

Post by tonrogs »

Do not drill that hole out! It will not run correctly if you do, trust me, Ive done it. Just clean it and try to get your string through. What I did was found a wire brush and plucked a wire out of it and used that to push through the hole.
scoot2er
BMX
BMX

Post by scoot2er »

I want to try to help you. Put away the drill. Slowly step back from your workbench and reattach the carb to your spree. HaHa! Try once again to fire the thing up. if it doesn't work make sure your idle screw is 1 1/2 turns out, all fuel is flowing freely, and your lines are in their necessary positions.
What it is?
bigbaer
BMX
BMX

Post by bigbaer »

Yeah...I'll have to take a break from the Spree and try again when my mind clears! I'm waiting on a bowl gasket, anyway. I'll wait 'til it gets here and try it without :twisted: drilling! :twisted: