Spree De-Restrict Questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Spree De-Restrict Questions

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Mmkay...

So I was speaking with a user on YouTube (TonyFizzle on YT, don't know his HS.Net account name) who used to have two Sprees. He said that he drilled out the last baffle in the muffler, installed a K&N filter, and up-jetted his 87 Spree. That got him to 40 MPH. SO I was thinking about doing this to my 85, but I have a few questions.

1. He didn't remember what size jet he put in the carb. Anybody remember speaking with him, or at least have an idea of what I'd need to upgrade to? I don't have any spares.
2. If I go with Taz's 48MM big bore kit, I'd need to up-jet even farther because he supplies a larger one already. Estimate on this too, please? lol
3. How badly will this decrease my gas mileage?

And the giant "IF..."
4. If I get Taz's gear upgrade kit, the big bore, and use the stock carb with an upgraded jet, taller 2.75 tires, and the de-restricted pipe... with some exhaust and intake porting... Does anyone think I could come close to breaking 45 MPH? Or would I need the bigger carb and reed setup to get closer to that? Just a dream... lol.

At least for now.

Thanks,
Nick.

PS, I don't want to invest in a motor swap. I know that would probably be the easiest, but I'm not a good fabricator.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
patthesoundguy

Re: Spree De-Restrict Questions

Post by patthesoundguy »

Stock bore without the air box and a completly free flowing filter or no air box and hose at all needs a 95 jet or so that may take some trial and error. If you are going big bore with the gears, just get the whole stage 3 kit with the carb. I'm not sure drilling out the stock exhaust will do all that much but you could try it and see, the best thing would be save up for the new MLM pipe, that would be worth your money. Even on the stock setup the pipe helps a lot for mid to top end power and some speed. Now to get anywhere with your 85 compared to the 87 there are some differences between the two. You will need a new piston, the 85 is dished compare to the 87 domed. You will need the reed block from an 87, the 85 reeds and are much smaller. I think that the stock gearing may be a little different, everyone correct me if I'm wrong. The heads are different as well, but it is reported that the best combo is old head and new piston. A new belt might be a good idea if the old one is worn too narrow, an ax24 1/2" wide belt is good for a few mph if the orig belt is quite worn.
84/85 head on the right 86/87 on the left.
84 piston
Later piston, new replacement from Taz
87 reed block on left 84 on the right
ImageImage
While you are at it port match and port the intake and rough it up nicely in side the intake
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

@patthesoundguy

So essentially... Find a cheap 87 parts bike. Thanks for the info, that will come in handy. If I can find a parts bike, I think I could * possibly* rebuild the motor, then just swap that into my 85, then swap over the head etc.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

87spree70superbee wrote:@patthesoundguy

So essentially... Find a cheap 87 parts bike. Thanks for the info, that will come in handy. If I can find a parts bike, I think I could * possibly* rebuild the motor, then just swap that into my 85, then swap over the head etc.
Yeah you could totally do that, that is actually a good idea. Sounds like you like the milage of your stock set-up. Im not sure what the extra consumption would be with the tax kit, others can report on that, as I haven't tried my kit yet, but when I went 70 cc on my express it used quite a bit more fuel. I converted the oil tank on it to a reserve tank with a Tee and a another petcock. It has been done on sprees when premix is used only. With the taz stage 3 kit may still get OK milage when you install the gears as they might keep the revs down with the better gear ratio.
If you stick with your stock cylinder I would really recommend pulling the jug and honing the bore and either replacing the piston and rings or cleaning up the piston and the ring grooves and cleaning the rings and decarboning the exhaust port and head. Especially on high milage motors. Image
Before
After
When the bore gets so shiny there is no place for the oil to go between the piston and rings and the cylinder walls. Doing this is not all that hard and restores a ton of the original performance to the motor. All you need is a new base gasket, a new head gasket, a brake cylinder hone, possibly a taz piston and ring kit and some basic tools and an hour or so. If you have a dremel or dremel like tool, that would a great time to do a little porting as well.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NQ50-Scoo ... 72&vxp=mtr
Here is a good candidate for reeds and an intake to port so you don't have to worry about ruining the orig one.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

patthesoundguy wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NQ50-Scoo ... 72&vxp=mtr
Here is a good candidate for reeds and an intake to port so you don't have to worry about ruining the orig one.
thanks for all that. Im not too concerned with boring the cylinder out just yet, the spree's only got 1.5k on it.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You wouldn't be boring it out its just honing. If you do new piston and rings or just rings honing is probably a good idea. If you are looking to get any extra performance out of your spree, its a really good idea to pull the head and have a look at the condition of the cylinder walls, who knows it may be low miles it could also still be a total mess.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Something I forgot to mention, was if you do decide to port your intake, take the reedstopper off and put in a vise and bend it open further. Bend it just enough that the reeds won't go back in by a bit, then bend them in so the stopper just misses the case my a couple milimetres. You will get more flow. You can still do this to get more flow anytime you like but you will have to replace the the gaskets on the the reedblock and intake. You can cut new ones yourself just be careful removing the parts and use a razor blade to peel the gaskets off so you have a template.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

...errr, what? Bend the reed stopper... I've never even gotten my reeds successfully out of the block! LOL they're pretty stuck in there
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

It can be tough to get them out, you might need to get a razorblade under them. I'd spray some pb blaster around the gasket and let it soak. If they are stuck you will need to replace the gaskets for sure if you get them out. If and when you replace the gaskets soak them with 2stroke oil real well and clean the gasket surfaces as clean as possible. Then you can disassemble and reassemble parts at will. This goes for base gaskets as well, the oil trick is a great one that Bear shared a while back. It works awesome.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock