Throttle stuck open?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mohrbetter
Noob
Noob

Throttle stuck open?

Post by mohrbetter »

I recently aquired an 85' Honda Spree (NQ50) and cleaned the carbs, installed fuel filter, etc. I'm having a problem where it starts up but will go full throttle, without me touching the hand throttle. So I checked the cable and it works, it slides smoothly through the housing and i made sure i installed it the right way i believe with the long slide going against the key. But when it's installed there is no tension on the hand throttle its like theres nothing there. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Throttle stuck open?

Post by breaze »

Sure sounds like the slide isn't going down. Did you pull off the airbox connector, look inside the carb, and make sure the slide is going all the way down when the throttle is released?
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

The correct orientation of the slide is with the small ramped slot lining up with the throttle screw (this is an Aero carb but should serve for demo purposes):

When the throttle is released, the spring should push the slide down (view from airbox side down venturi):

'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Breaze takes very helpful pics plus he has admirable hand and fingernail hygiene.

He's quite correct in his description too. Let me add that the other side of the throttle slide - the one that's facing the inside of the scooter - has a little groove running its whole length. Inside the slide bore of the carb body, there's a little nub cast into the metal. This nub is supposed to engage the slide's groove. Normally the throttle slide should just drop to the bottom without any force or spring tension when all is as it should be.

A problem can arise when you - er, I mean some ham-fisted Previous Owner - tries to JAM the slide down without checking for correct orientation. With surprisingly little force, the little nub can shear off, and/or change the nice round shape of the bore somehow, so that the slide just sticks there. If that happens, there's no easy cure.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

When a two stoke engine leans out, they can sometimes rev high giving the impression that the slide/ cable is stuck. Luckily this is only 49 cc and not 500cc.
Your description of no tension at the hand throttle however, sounds like the slide is sticking. Did you look at the carb inlet while twisting the throttle ? Does the slide fully drop ?
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.