Duosport's Honda Spree repair thread.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pete M
Elite
Elite

Re: Duosport's Honda Spree repair thread.

Post by Pete M »

You might consider a hotter plug. I am running a 4 in both of my sb50p"s and have not replaced a plug in a long time. Before that about once a week. I almost never run over 20 any way.
89 Elite E
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

Running well and looking good. Thank you all for your kind help.

Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

Pete M wrote:You might consider a hotter plug. I am running a 4 in both of my sb50p"s and have not replaced a plug in a long time. Before that about once a week. I almost never run over 20 any way.
That is what I had in. That one failed and I replace it with the same.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Glad to hear you are up and running :-) sometimes you can just have a bad plug. Last spring my spree wouldn't go had same issue, had fire but wouldn't start. New plug and off it went. That spree looks great, nice tires on it :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

patthesoundguy wrote:Glad to hear you are up and running :-) sometimes you can just have a bad plug. Last spring my spree wouldn't go had same issue, had fire but wouldn't start. New plug and off it went. That spree looks great, nice tires on it :-)
Yes it was weird that it was a new plug in the scoot for just a few days working fine and then suddenly not. This is why this sounding board is so great.

The original seat covering was really badly torn up so today I reupholstered the seat. Not perfect but better than gaping holes.

otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

patthesoundguy wrote:#68 for stock spree jet 84 - 87 unless its am Iowa spree then its #65.

Hello
I've heard a lot about #68 jet being stock for Sprees. Having worked on over a dozen Spree carbs, I've yet to find one with a #68 (non are Iowa models). Maybe Honda just sent #65,s to Minnesota :smile:
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

otto-man wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:#68 for stock spree jet 84 - 87 unless its am Iowa spree then its #65.

Hello
I've heard a lot about #68 jet being stock for Sprees. Having worked on over a dozen Spree carbs, I've yet to find one with a #68 (non are Iowa models). Maybe Honda just sent #65,s to Minnesota :smile:
The stock would appear to be a #65. Looks like some people here are suggesting upjetting to a #68. I have a #68 coming in the mail so I will give it a go to see how that works out.
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Duosport wrote:
otto-man wrote:

Hello
The stock would appear to be a #65. Looks like some people here are suggesting upjetting to a #68. I have a #68 coming in the mail so I will give it a go to see how that works out.
It will be nice to know how much difference the #68 will make. By the way ....NICE 87 Spree!!!
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

I have not owned or ridden a Spree before, but the top speed is said here to be maybe 29 mph. I have hit that on the speedometer already with the #65 so my guess is the #68 is not going to do anything.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You might be surprised what a small up jet will do. The 85 aero 80 is a perfect example. If you up jet from the stock 88 jet to a 90 its a whole different machine, way better top end. The aero 80 also has a tab on the air screw on the carb that had to be removed to make it idle right. I think sometimes the jeting is put forth by governing bodies to make the machines leaner. So stuff gets shipped with the smallest workable jet to pass the emissions laws of the day. Maybe elevation has something to do with what jet the scooters got as well.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

By the way the seat looks super :-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

patthesoundguy wrote:You might be surprised what a small up jet will do. The 85 aero 80 is a perfect example. If you up jet from the stock 88 jet to a 90 its a whole different machine, way better top end. The aero 80 also has a tab on the air screw on the carb that had to be removed to make it idle right. I think sometimes the jeting is put forth by governing bodies to make the machines leaner. So stuff gets shipped with the smallest workable jet to pass the emissions laws of the day. Maybe elevation has something to do with what jet the scooters got as well.

I am looking forward to getting my #68 jet and see what shakes out.
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

patthesoundguy wrote:By the way the seat looks super :-)

Thanks its amatuer of course but made of good quality marine vinyl so its going to keep the rain out. I took the little red scooter for a spin this morning to the grocery store. It made a boring trip to the corner store fun. Still bogging a little bit. I will monkey with the adjustments today. Thanks for the compliment. :smile:
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

what ever you do dont put a exter hole the the stock air box it will run to lean ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

So last week I received my new battery for my Spree. After a charge and an install. I put the plastics on and took it for a ride. Everything seemed good but when I came to my first stop the engine cut out. I restarted it but it did not maintain an idle. So I took it home and had a look at the carburetor. In the bowl was some crud. I drained the fuel from the tank and out came dirty gas. After a tank flush and an install of an inline fuel filter and a quick carb clean I was back on the road but with the same problem. I think I did not fully get the idle jet clean. Hopefully I can solve this problem tomorrow.
Last edited by Duosport on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.