86 spree won't run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Re: 86 spree won't run

Post by patthesoundguy »

I just got one of those kits i recomend it if you want to staty stock. I was curious if it was any good well it is. The shipping is fast mine came to canada in a few days.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Awesome, Pat thanks, I'm a cruiser and not a racer. I'm not comfortable exceeding 30 mph. I'll get one coming shortly and give ya'll a report. Once again, thanks to everyone for their help so far. Love the blue spree, btw, wish we had 'em in the states.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
09 Nautilus "Seahorse" (homebuilt)
10 Nautilus "Seabrook" (homebuilt)[/color]
79 Honda Express
67 Harley~Davidson golf cart
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I'm going to get my kit in this week and start break in. The spree only goes 30mph or so any way, so its a perfect fit for you by the sounds of it. I'm going to play with the stock kit for a while and then try my BBKit and carb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

As my poor forlorn spree sits here dismantled, I noticed oil dripping from the dangling intake. I've worked on another with a leaky oil injector pump and ground the drive gear and converted it to mixed gas only. Is the pump available at all for these, or is this removal of the system the recommended method. I saw no reference to this on Wikispreedia. Can't wait for the wife to ok my top end kit. Looks like a real easy quick job.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Good used pumps are easier to find than a plug that will fit to plug its hole. Losing the tiny bit of drag off the crank benefits performance a little. Choose your poison.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

fairlead wrote:As my poor forlorn spree sits here dismantled, I noticed oil dripping from the dangling intake. I've worked on another with a leaky oil injector pump and ground the drive gear and converted it to mixed gas only. Is the pump available at all for these, or is this removal of the system the recommended method. I saw no reference to this on Wikispreedia. Can't wait for the wife to ok my top end kit. Looks like a real easy quick job.
How much oil was leaking from the oil line. Was it the kind of thing where there was a few drops or is it the kind of thing where you might go to run it and the crank case will be full of oil. If its only a few drops maybe its still good.I'd run it for a bit and see.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

In two days time I have a spot on the floor about the size of a business card. It is indeed a very slow drip. I noticed when I ran it last week however it seemed to give intermittent heavy puffs of smoky exhaust every few seconds while "pegged". This after the 10 minute colossal cloud. Whatdya think? Maybe I should try it.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

hay fairlead is that a photo of something you made????
swimmimgfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Yessir, it is a homemade bike all of wood. Plywood frame, steam bent cedar body. Hand stitched seat. It is powered by a c. 1988 Toro GTS (Suzuki built) 5 hp vertical crank push mower engine. A twisted belt runs to a jackshaft with centrifugal clutch with belt drive to the rear rim. Does about 35 mph. I have also a twin that is sheeted in riveted aluminum, with a 5 hp Briggs under the bonnet. They are big, comfortable and get a few looks. I'm a commercial sailor by trade, thus the nautical hull shaped body I designed. I can post pics one of these days of the two. Compressing pics for this site is a pita, I wish we didn't have to-gotta re-learn everytime I do it.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

nice ive seen them on here before TrafficJams posted them on here about 2 years back.. be nice to see photo and other info on how you did it on a bild post ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

I'll look into doing that soon. Got plenty of pics. What part of MI do you call home? Ever been to the Ann Arbor Old School Minibike show in April? I've brought both bikes there. Won Best-in-class last year with the "woodie".
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

south of you im in muskegon...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

fairlead wrote:In two days time I have a spot on the floor about the size of a business card. It is indeed a very slow drip. I noticed when I ran it last week however it seemed to give intermittent heavy puffs of smoky exhaust every few seconds while "pegged". This after the 10 minute colossal cloud. Whatdya think? Maybe I should try it.
That's a hard call, I'd try it for a couple days and see what happens then go from there.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

On a different note, the bystarter in my 84 spree was stuck and pulled apart by someone else. I believe there are parts missing and I see broken stuff. Do the bystarters on ebay aftermarket work okay? I need one!!!!
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Link to pics of fairlead's wood scooter

In two days time I have a spot on the floor about the size of a business card. It is indeed a very slow drip. I noticed when I ran it last week however it seemed to give intermittent heavy puffs of smoky exhaust every few seconds while "pegged". This after the 10 minute colossal cloud. Whatdya think? Maybe I should try it.
They fail leaking with the engine off. Depending upon how bad the leak and how long the scooter sits, it can collect enough oil to make for a no-start issue. Some have pulled the cyl to empty out the crankcase (me included :).

Go ahead and try it, if not too bad, regular running will keep down the accumulation. Worst pump I had would foul the plug if sitting 1 month or more, weekly running was just smoky for a few blocks. Sitting over the winter filled the crankcase with oil.