crank seal replacement

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

theguccipanda
Noob
Noob

crank seal replacement

Post by theguccipanda »

bought an 85 honda spree for 350$ in october 2012. took it out in spring, didnt start. took it to a mechanic and he said it has good compresion ignition a good carb i replaced the petcock and the spark plugs myself and flushed the gas tank but now it starts and idles fine but it doesnt go forward at all. We suspect the crankcase seals are leaking due to oil leaking. could anyone confirm that and lend me a hand into fixing it? would be greatly appreciated. need this doe
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: crank seal replacement

Post by Trafficjamz »

Is the stock air box in place?

Sprees need the air box and a foam filter in place to do anything other than idle.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
theguccipanda
Noob
Noob

Post by theguccipanda »

Yes it is
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

The intake to carb seal may be leaking air or the intake gasket to the block may be leaking.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Oil seepling at either crank end is a sympton of your Prime Suspect. Seals can be pried out destructively. New ones can be tapped in with Pvc pipe of suitable diameter. The trouble with doing this is not knowing Why they failed. Crank out of true or bad bearings, can cause, but so can Father Time acting on rubber.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
theguccipanda
Noob
Noob

Post by theguccipanda »

I'm not really sure where to find someone who can do that for me or how to do it myself any suggestions?
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

If you just want to replace the seals, the hardest part is removing them. You'll have to remove the left side cover and front drive pulley on one side, and the fan cover, fan, and stator on the other - the service manual (available from this site) will be a big help here if you're not comfortable with that.

Then comes the fun part - removing the seals. You may want to do a search on this forum for different ideas - I've had success drilling a small hole in the seal, then using a wood screw to screw into the hole - providing something to grab and pull. These seals can be very difficult to pull out and you risk damaging the crankcase if you are not careful, but it can be done with a little patience.

Putting in the new seals is the easy part - find something like the pvc recommended by Wheelman and simply push or tap in the new seals. Take note on how far in your existing seals are before removing - if you press the new seals in too far, you can interfere with the oil pump.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I use a seal puller for a car or an ice pick, the drilling a hole and using a wood screw sounds like a great idea also. It only take a few seconds to remove and reinstall the new ones.