NEED SOMEONE SMART Need help honda spree wont start !!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

anthony0199
Noob
Noob

NEED SOMEONE SMART Need help honda spree wont start !!!

Post by anthony0199 »

hey everyone I own a 1985 Honda spree my spree run great for about 3weeks ran awesome one night parked it the next day wont start??? it turns over but doesn't start .. so I took apart the carb cleaned everything even jet took apart all lines blow them out . I pulled spark plug im getting spark I followed the gas lines from the carb up to the petcock is it common for one of those petcocks to go out ? I don't think im getting gas to pass through it . I have a fuel filter in the middle of the line from petcock to carb and theres no fuel passing through the filter what I mean by that is the filters not filling up with gas? but if I manually put fuel in the line filter fills up I turn it over carb suck gas up still doesn't start and carb bowl is full of gas ? so A... the petcock it not working right or B.. the motor is not compressing enough to suck fuel hard enough through the line for the petcock to work right ???

Im so confuse on whats going on with this thing. do I got to maybe replace petcock? but it still didn't start when I manually put fuel in just truns over and over never starts ??? please help about to take it to Honda shop and pay out the * to get it going . thanks everyone if u can help !!
Wheelman-111

Re: NEED SOMEONE SMART Need help honda spree wont start !!!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

1. Swap in a new spark plug, gapped to 0.24.
2. Check air box, filter and all connections.
3. Perform a compression test.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Okay, you said that even when the bowl is full, it won't start? check the vacuum line going to the petcock. Make sure it's attached and not cracked or broken off. Suck on the tube for a few seconds and see if you get fuel flowing through the filter then. Take the air filter off and crank it with your hand mostly over the intake for about 2 seconds. This should pull some fuel into the intake tract. Hold the throttle open 1/4 way and crank it. If it still won't flow, it could be the fuel strainer, located above the petcock, is clogged. Check that and blast it with Clean-R-Carb. (Drain the fuel out first) If it still won't start, rent a compression tester from an auto parts store, and look for numbers above (I think) 125 PSI.
Last edited by 87spree70superbee on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

First of all, the trick is to not tear anything apart if it just sat over night and the next morning won't start. Go for the simple first. For fuel to flow from the petcock there needs to be vacuum from the engine cranking over. If the vacuum line has issues might not get any fuel from the tank. The way to check for fuel from the petcock is to pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the motor over. A gush of fuel should pour out of the line on about the second crank. Then put the line back on the carb and crank a bunch. Then open the float bowl drain screw on the bowl of the carb and see if any fuel comes out. If you had water in the carb it will come out then as well. Now make sure the battery is fully charged up and has the proper water level in each cell before charging it. Use distilled water. The 85 does not have a kick start as you well know. If the battery is a little weak it will turn the motor just fine but not quite fast enough to start. I've had that get me more than once on my 84. Now to the spark plug... It may spark outside the motor but it doesn't always mean it gonna fire in place, had that get me too ;-)if there is fuel getting to the carb move on. if you have a battery charger of 4 amps or more just use it to jump the battery while you crank it. I bet it fires right up. If not install a new plug gapped to .025" and go again. Still no go, choke the airbox intake with your fingers. Still no go check the compression. Hope this gives a place to start.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
anthony0199
Noob
Noob

Post by anthony0199 »

thanks everyone that posted ill try all that in the morning and get back to you
anthony0199
Noob
Noob

Post by anthony0199 »

hey everyone this is the up date .. I did a compression text it was at 90 never even got to 100 so I was thinking that was in the low side of things. so I pulled the head piston looks good cylinder looks good no groves so im guess I just need rings please tell me what u think ??

ps . does anyone know where I can buy after market parts bigger better faster piston head oversized 48mm stuff like kits ? thanks
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

oil up the piston and rings and put it back to gather .. 90 is low but all it needed is a fue drops of oil to bring it up ..
chopchop*123 on ebay sell stuff for sprees or tazland001 on here the same guy..... but what kind of speed are you looking for???
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Swimming free is right oil er up and reassemble. The thing to do is look at how shiny the cylinder walls are. Smooth and shiny=not so good 45 cross hatch pattern=good. If you dont remedy a shiny bore, new piston and rings wont do the good you want. Id see what oil in the cylinder gets you for compression, and dont forget to hold the throttle wide open when cranking for the test, crank till the needle wont move any more. See what you have, go from there. New piston and rings from Taz would likey be a great idea, but check it all out first. Image shiny bore
Image de-glazed and ready for new parts :-D

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Common mistake is to put a bbk on it and expecting it to cure your problem. Trouble shoot and repair it first. If you go to the engine troubleshooting guide in the manual it will give you step by step instructions on the proper order and component checking instructions.
89 Elite E
anthony0199
Noob
Noob

Post by anthony0199 »

So I oiled my piston and I actually got Less compression then before it was only 80 this time .. how do I get ahold of that Tazland001 guy to order oversize piston kit ???
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You prob don't need a big bore kit or oversize piston, Unless your cylinder is shot. Take a couple of pics of the cylinder when you have it apart next and post them if you can. You likely just need to hone the cylinder a little then install a standard size piston and rings, do a little breaking in and rock on. Here is the link to Taz and his stock spree piston set on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ5 ... 3381a4a911

Last edited by patthesoundguy on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

one question that need to be answer is what kind of speed he wants????
we no it not cheep to get 40 out of a spree but not to hard to get 40 out of other motor...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

swimmingfree wrote:one question that need to be answer is what kind of speed he wants????
we no it not cheep to get 40 out of a spree but not to hard to get 40 out of other motor...
swimmingfree
You are soooooo right there my friend ;-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
anthony0199
Noob
Noob

Post by anthony0199 »

I just want the thing to run so I can start chopping up the block again ... but though if I have it apart might as well go big and do some stuff to it .
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

a bbk will not give you more speed (well maybe a fue ) it will get you to top speed faster ... some one on here got a new top end bbk and and a fue other thing and i think his top speed is like 40 but he spent a lot for it...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...