Best Bang for the Buck, the mods begin

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Re: Best Bang for the Buck, the mods begin

Post by alexfleury »

Continuing with a few cheap mods. I think this looks better. Gotta love a Dremel tool (Magic stick)

And YES I AM aware that my shop is a total disaster. See the hole in the flooring. I had a fire from a propane heater that almost burned the place down. The insulation is done and the wood is almost all painted grey now, but everything has to be moved one more time before the floor will be done. I WILL get it all organized again after that. I hate working in it the way it is now but I had two bikes to finish and the scooter work to do before my cus can get on with the rest of the restoration of the shop.

I think this will count as a "Bang for the Buck" modification since I had the bar end mirrors sitting in a box for years and this turned out to be a good use for them. The black plastic inserts to fill the holes that were left when I took the stock mirrors off only cost 88 cents for a pair of them at Lowes.

To me the mirrors and the rear fender were the two things that just looked out of place on such a nice overall design like the Elite. I'm happy with both of the changes.

I think the look from the front is very different with the "TV antenna" stock mirrors gone.
Last edited by alexfleury on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

I like what you did with the "mud flap" I might have to do something like that myself!
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Thanks King, that's a sport bike thing :-) I was hoping it would come out good. The next thing I'm going to do is go to the local shop that does stickers and wraps at very reasonable prices. They do all the logos on the delivery trucks and police cars around here. They can produce any kind of sticker that you can find a pattern for. Maybe I'll do some kind of "Tribal" design on the front and something smaller but in the same pattern on each side of the headlight.

I'm open to suggestions - What do y'all think would look good?
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

I think a scoot should be personalized :-)

Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Ahhhh it pains me to see those stickers on it haha. I like the sleek look of it plain. You're elite sticker on the side looks really really clean though. I need to find one like that
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

I think a lot of people will get a chuckle out of the peace sign,, after all it is "just a groovy lil motor bike" All right I know I'm old lol

Did you get a good look at the side, Maybe just the Suzuki fans will get that one.
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Haha yea I saw it. Your own version of a gixxer. I'm actually gonna get one of those in December possibly
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

I had all three printed at my local sign shop for $15
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

BTW I do have a GSXR altho it is many many pieces in my shop right now. But eventually, and I plan for it to happen this winter, I will have a pretty nice "fighter" GSXR

And of course I have Old Faithful my Bandit 600 now a 750 :-)

I guess I'll have to come up with a red and black paint scheme for the GSXR when it is done

Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

My scoot had 170 miles but the tires were cracked and needed to be replaced. Ron Ayers sent me 2 Kenda 3.00 tires and IRC tubes to my door for $58.

The rear wheel was hard to get off.

This got some grease when the wheel went back on!

Got the rear tire mounted. Yellow dot lined up with the stem, and direction of rotation correct, but who sees what I got wrong? I took the tire back off and fixed it lol

The Kenda compared to the old IRC. Both these tires are still mounted on a wheel and inflated.

Yep the Kenda is a lot smoother on the road. Tires set at 20psi front, 35 rear
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

alexfleury wrote: Got the rear tire mounted. Yellow dot lined up with the stem, and direction of rotation correct, but who sees what I got wrong? I took the tire back off and fixed it lol

I don't see it. What's wrong?
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

I'll give other people a chance to check it before I tell you how stupid I am lol And YES I had the wheel back on the bike and pulled the tube from the front wheel before I caught my mistake :nervous:
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Someone asked me a question about the yellow dot. That is the lightest point on the tire. YEP the manufacturer weighs them and checks balance before they leave the factory. That's why you line up the yellow dot next to the valve stem which is the heaviest point on the rim. This will give you the closest combination to a balanced wheel. Also you notice that on this tire, and I'll bet any of the high performance tires, there is an arrow that shows the direction of rotation. This is important! The tire will not wear correctly or grip correctly if this is "backward".

Now what I did wrong! There are TWO nuts on the valve stem. This is the way a new tube comes out of the box. I put both of the nuts on the outside of the rim and didn't realize that I was wrong until I took off the front tire and tube and discovered that one of the nuts was INSIDE the rim on the front. And my bike had 170 miles on it so I'm sure this is the way it came from the factory. WHY? I had to think about it. While a 50cc may not generate a lot of torque on the tire from acceleration, the brakes will ! The two nuts are there so that you can tighten the valve stem in the rim enough to keep the tube from sliding inside the rim. If both of the nuts are on the outside, then you MIGHT tighten them enough to basically pull the stem thru the rim and tear the tube. With one inside and one out you are just tightening one nut against the other one. Not pulling on the tube.

You might notice that I have motorcycle tire irons laying on the floor next to the two wheels. I wouldn't try to change these tires without good tire irons. I think I could pull off not pinching a tube, but I'd bet that I'd scratch a rim or maybe even bend one using screw drivers.

If you are going to change tires, have a bottle of dishwashing liquid mixed with water and use it liberally. Buy a couple of tire irons. They aren't expensive. Be aware that it is possible to bend a rim. Put in a new tube if you are mounting a new tire. The old tubes will look fine, but they are likely years old.

They axle nut on the back of the bike calls for 80 ft lbs. My torque wrench only goes to 75. I didn't worry about it. I clicked it a couple of times on 75 and called it good. I just put a piece of wood thru the wheel but made sure there wasn't any side torque on the spoke.

This isn't much different than changing a tire on you bicycle, but it takes lot more force. That's why you have to be careful how hard you pull against the rim.

I changed both tires in about 2 hours, but I do a lot of cleaning and checking as I go. The next time I have the wheels off I think I am going to paint the spokes RED !! And maybe the rims black!
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Great tips on tire changing. I had no idea about the yellow dot, or about the arrow, and especially not about the 2 nuts. Thanks for putting so much detail into the write up about the tires, really going to help me when I attempt to change my tires this weekend.