1984 Spree no start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

stevemilz
BMX
BMX

1984 Spree no start

Post by stevemilz »

I just was gifted a non running 1984 Spree. I drained and cleaned the oil/gas tank and lines, new oil and gas. It has fuel and spark. Carb wasnt too bad, main jet slightly clogged. It turns over but wont start, sounds like it wants to fire up only with a shot of fuel in the cylinder. There is no air filter or muffler on it, because i dont have them. I did cover the carb to see if it would make a difference...nope.

I did also check the cylinder/piston/rings...looks great. 1984 was dished piston?

The wiring is hacked around the battery / cdi...but like I said gets spark

Thanks for any Help
motormike

Re: 1984 Spree no start

Post by motormike »

What is the status of the pilot jet ?
What is the status of the bystarter ?
What is the status of the hole in the float bowl that feeds fuel into the bystarter reservoir ?
The absence of air filter and muffler will ADVERSELY affect the ability to start and run... :hi:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

Everything in the carb looks good..bypass even ohm'd out good too.

Ill be picking up a muffler shortly.
motormike

Post by motormike »

stevemilz wrote:Ill be picking up a muffler shortly.
^^^^^^lack of muffler is probably your biggest problem causing a No-start condition.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

The muffler is clogged..... I put it on anyway to see. Nope

It had a BPR5HS plug, I installed the correct BPR6HS.

Cleaned the carb again

ohm'd out the alternator, ignition switch, stator, cdi...all within spec according to manual.

I checked the reeds, fully closed.

I going to pull the harness to see if there are any melted wires...
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

I went though the harness, new main ground, added in-line fuse back to harness, and did a continuity check on all wires. I put another muffler on it and put a lid on the air box. Cleaned carb again....still not running.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Is the new pipe confirmed to be clean? What if its clogged as well. You need to confirm compression and spark. Then choke the intake of the airbox while cranking. Make sure that the battery is fully charged, otherwise it may spin over just that little bit too slow and won't start. It will seem fine but it can fool you, jump it with a battery or a charger of at least 5 amps. Also the only true test to confirm the bystarter works properly is the vacuum test laid out in the manual.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

The new pipe is very light compared to the other one. There is a "good" spark, I changed out the CDI and Rectifier also. I know the motor was "gone though" prior to me getting it...I think Im going to blow it apart and recheck everything.

My son wanted the wheels black so I did that.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it.

patthesoundguy wrote:Is the new pipe confirmed to be clean? What if its clogged as well. You need to confirm compression and spark. Then choke the intake of the airbox while cranking. Make sure that the battery is fully charged, otherwise it may spin over just that little bit too slow and won't start. It will seem fine but it can fool you, jump it with a battery or a charger of at least 5 amps. Also the only true test to confirm the bystarter works properly is the vacuum test laid out in the manual.

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Have you checked the compression with a tester yet? If the carb is right and the pipe is right and the plug is good and compression is right it should run. Maybe the flywheel key is sheared and the motor is out of time?

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

I have not put a gauge on it. The reason for that is...the previous owner rebuilt it. I have a sneaking suspicion he forgot to put a gasket under the cylinder, I don't remember seeing it when pulled it apart to check the rings.

I picked up a 1986 Spree Special non-running(free)....when you crank it over it sounds like its moving more air than the '84
patthesoundguy wrote:Have you checked the compression with a tester yet? If the carb is right and the pipe is right and the plug is good and compression is right it should run. Maybe the flywheel key is sheared and the motor is out of time?

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sometimes the base gasket will come off attached to the cylinder. But if the cylinder just lifted right out with no resistance then its very likely there is no base gasket. A compression test is one of the first things to check on a non running motor especially on a motor that doesn't run when you got it. Then you don't go in circles trying to get a motor to run that simply will not until the low or no compression issues are repaired. And also assume nothing when it comes to getting something from someone else. Just because the previous own "rebuilt" the thing means nothing unless they are someone known to be capable. And even then anything can happen from the time it got assembled until you got it.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

Ok so.....attemped to mess around with this thing again. New problem...when you go full throttle it kills the power(electrical), release the throttle it has power.

I pulled the motor and installed it on the 1986 Special, it appears the '84 has 2 wires and the '86 has one wire blue/yellow and green vs one wire blue/yellow only. I can get it crank but no spark. Compression test 91psi.
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

Grounded the green wire, I'll try to fire it up in the morning.

UPDATE: Has spark now....still a P.O.S. not running
stevemilz
BMX
BMX

Post by stevemilz »

Is 90-91psi too low? I tried to do a search...
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

90 psi is supsosed to be bare min compression should be 120 or there abouts

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock