Off topic tuning requests - split from Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Off topic tuning requests - split from Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Post by alexfleury »

OK question from a :newb: Am I likely doing the right thing on my de regged SA50p leaving my pump active and wired at about 2/3 open AND adding about an ounce of oil per fill up. If I run to the bottom of the RED it takes about .9 gal every time.

I am planning to add a pipe and a bigger main jet.

Whadda y'all think?

Alex
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Post by LMH »

Im gonna just ignore JJ, not sure hes on the same wave length as most, also Im not sure hes ever had an engine that hasnt blown up, maybe he should try not running the stock oil pump.
Alex, I run my bike that you saw in the video I made with doing 32:1 premix and no pump with a 87.5 jet. The reason I use the 87.5 is because I do premix, If youre not doing anything but de regulating it I wouldnt wire the pump open but adding 1 oz to 1 gallon will help the higher rpms and lowers keep lubed better. If you do big bore thats when it seems people like to do the pump mod and still add premix as well. So until you do that I wouldnt add too much to it or youll be fouling plugs.
Hope you have fun riding!
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Thanks LMH I found that de reg ran fine with an eighty jet, but I put in the 85 and it still runs OK but it is killing gas mileage. Would the 85 jet maybe all right with a pipe? I am ordering a head temp gauge now so that I won't have to guess. Should the head temps run about 280 to 300? What is TOO HIGH?

I have only checked 2 tanks but it pumped 4 ounces in two tanks, so if I add 2 ounces per tank (4 ounces total for two tanks) that would be a total of 8. (Assuming a full gallon per fill up it is actually .9 each) If I add 2 ounces per fill up I should be right at 32:1.

I feel safe with this combination.

Mind if I ask you a jet question? Would the 85 jet work ok with a stock motor and a mild pipe? Will my oil set up the way I am doing it be ok too.
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

4 ounces per gal is 32/1 ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Just run 32:1 and you will be fine. If your setup with oil pump 2/3 tied open and adding 2 ounces per fill up gets you to 32:1 then you will be perfectly fine with the oil. LMH has almost the same set up as you except he has a PG Short pipe and hes running an 87.5 so 85 could possibly work. Jetting isn't always the same as temperature and elevation and so many other things affect it. Only after doing plug chops and using a CHT can you be truly sure if you have the right jet. We can offer guesses but we will never be 100% correct. 85 should work, but after some of your tests you might need 87.
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Yeah I was talking about the bike pumped 4 ounces in two tanks, so if I had added 2 per fill-up that would be 8 ounces for about 2 gal

Puts me right at 4 per tank. A fill up is actually .9 gal but I'm not worrying about being just a little over .

I think that will work OK. I'm going to check on how much it takes to fill the reservoir after I fill up.
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Thanks Fowler! I am going to put on the heat gauge very soon. Am I correct, that anything just under 300 is about right?
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well according to bakaracer (he knows his stuff) on this post:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... re#p141266

"310-330 is real good for steel bores. on my stroker i've seen 365 and nothing happend. I pulled the bore to check later and nothing. my aluminum mhr for the track it stays around 400."

From that I'd say anywhere between 300-350 and you should be fine. Once you get closer to about 400 then its time to worry.
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Thanks guys, I will order a pipe soon and I want to have the head temp gauge installed when I put it on.
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

My cruizing temps stay around 300 to 320 and WOT im around 360ish
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

So it sounds like the "sweet spot" is 300 to 350 but no reason to freak out if I see 375 or bit more for a short time.

And someone said below 300 is too rich but another post said 275 is OK.

SOOOOO

My pipe will be here this week but I am going back on the road until Thanksgiving. So soon after that I'll make a run with my 85 jet. I think I am a little rich now. But I'll be careful with the temps. Maybe I'll even order a 90 or an 87.5 and start there. What do y'all think?
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance