Honda elite kick starter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

lilbass
Noob
Noob

Honda elite kick starter

Post by lilbass »

I just bought an 88 honda elite e that needed a little work. hopefully the only thing i need to fix to get her going is the kick starter assembly. i have taken it apart cleaned it checked repair manuals to make sure its in there right, yet everytime i kick it, it stays down wont return and also sounds like its not even making contact with the gear. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda elite kick starter

Post by spreeinkc »

Hard to say with out seeing it. Think there's another thread talking about this as well you might check out viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28669&view=unread#unread

What part of MO are you in?
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

thanks guys im still trying to find those blueprints but in the mean time im going to go buy some grease and solvent to really clean everything up. as far as i know i have every part that is shown in repair manual.
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

got the kick starter going again, grease spruced her up a bit. also never under estimate the circlip i tried to use the bent up old one and come to find out it kept popping out allowing the kick starter to get jarred out of place. But now i have ran into another problem, wont start. she cranks and cranks and sounds like she wants to roll over but just wont, there's fuel getting to carb, replaced plug. even tried starting fluid... nothing. any suggestions?
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Did it run before the kick start issue? If you have fuel (in the cylinder, not just the carb) and you have spark then I would check the compression. I wouldn't use starting fluid to try to start it, it will wash the oil off the cylinder. Premix some gas and oil at 32:1 and use like a eye dropper and squirt some directly into the cylinder thru spark plug hole. If it doesn't fire you've either got weak spark or low compression. If it does fire you need to remove carb and clean it thoroughly. It explains how to clean it in the Wikispreedia section http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning They can be a pain to get clean and may take a few times...
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

no the kick starter was just another issue. it however did run this summer and then was put away. i do not have a compression tester but just putting finger over spark plug hole its got a **** load of compression. i know starter fluid is bad for it but i have never seen an engine that wants to start, fail to start with ether which is why i am stumped. wouldn't think by-starter would effect it but just to make sure i tested that its sitting at 4.8-5 Ohms. seems as if fuel is in cylinder as well, plug was wet at least.
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

If plug is wet (with fuel, not fowled) then I would check your spark and gap. Is it a bright white/blue spark or a dull orange/yellowish spark? Your carb may be causing it to be too rich and fowl plug. Check what # jet is in it (someone could have jacked with it thinking they could make it faster) and make sure the clip is on correct notch on throttle needle. Set the air idle screw at 1.5-1.75 turns out and the idle screw to where it's just starting to lift the throttle slide. Also make sure air box is secure and air filter is good. Don't give it any gas when trying to start it, if it doesn't fire up within 5 sec or so hold throttle wide open. If it still won't start within 5 sec or so you may have other issues. How many miles are on it. The exhaust could be clogged too...?

Check for air leaks as well. Around carb and manifold and case...
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

bright white/blue spark and plug is not fowled at all. the clip is in middle position. what do you mean by just starting to lift throttle slide? and forgive me but which one is the idle screw? everything else you mentioned is clear it has 2300 miles on it. one more thing is when i was trying to use ether to start it i had air filter off and when i stopped cranking a little bit of smoke would roll out of air intake.
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

i lied their is almost 6000 miles on it, i thought it was a lot lower. but anyhow i printed out all 147 pages of the manual for this bike and under trouble shooting it said one possibility is the bystarter is faulty. i tested this it seems to be good but i found something that says debris could be clogging the port for this, Would this cause the problem i am having?
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Not likely. Did you try priming it with gas? That's what I would do first. You need to determine if its the engine or carb issue. That will tell you.
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Sent you a PM
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

by priming you mean putting gas directly in cylinder? i tried doing that with gas earlier wasn't much tho, i was afraid id flood it or wash the oil out when i did she sounded like she was trying to start up a little more but not much.
lilbass
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbass »

I appreciate every bodies help, i got her running like a champ. worked on the thing for 12 hours and had no results so i gave up for a bit, walked by it today and decided id hit the starter button, and wouldn't you know the d*** thing fired right up, :*: so who knows what was goin on with it, im happy now tho all i have invested is a $2 plug. thanks again guys! :2thumbs: