85 spree fuse and start problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

djb
Noob
Noob

85 spree fuse and start problems

Post by djb »

I have Spree that wires have been cut short to the pos side of battery. I added a small wire with inline 7amp fuse and it blows when i try to crank over. blows quick , any suggestions?
patthesoundguy

Re: 85 spree fuse and start problems

Post by patthesoundguy »

djb wrote:I have Spree that wires have been cut short to the pos side of battery. I added a small wire with inline 7amp fuse and it blows when i try to crank over. blows quick , any suggestions?
Sounds like a short, get a meter out and or a test light along with the wiring diagram from the manual and start tracing. Hopefully its somewhere close to the battery. I would look at all of the bullet connectors in the bundle down by the oil pump and possibly up under the horn cover, make sure they are all connected and no wires are hanging out touching the frame. And I would trace the pos battery cable down to the starter make sure the cables have no cuts in them. I wonder if there is a set of wires crossed somewhere. You'll get it dont worry :ndance:
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
djb
Noob
Noob

Post by djb »

good advice I'll give it a try. there has been some butcher work at the key switch as well as by the battery.
thought i had checked it but must have missed something. thanks again.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I have Spree that wires have been cut short to the pos side of battery.
--
There are 2 red wires. Only the small wire should be fused.
The large dia is un-fused in OEM wiring, and will blow a 7amp fuse - it is the starter motor power.
djb
Noob
Noob

Post by djb »

that makes more sense now that I think of it. alot of current to go to the starter with such a small wire and fuse. thanks I will try again with new plan.