Honda Gyro questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

otto-man
Spree
Spree

Honda Gyro questions

Post by otto-man »

Taking a detour from Sprees, I found a 1986 Honda Gyro. While taking it apart (sat for 3 years) I noticed the exhaust pipe was full of oil! I figured that oil probably leaked by the oil pump and filled pipe over the years. I'm thinking that the muffler has plenty or oil too. Any one know if there is any fiberglass in muffler, or can it be burned out like a Spree? Also when removing the carb, the bowl was also full of oil???? That's better than varnished gas, but kind of odd. Anybody with some other tips on these would be appreciated. Looks like it will be blast to ride when done!!! Thanks
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Honda Gyro questions

Post by mousewheels »

I had a TG50 which filled the exhaust pipe. :hi:
This thread will help with the oil pump - Link

I've never cut open a Gyro exhaust, but think your's will be ok, see below. I'd empty oil from the crankcase, then give it a smokey first ride.

-- Oil in the carb bowl
For the TG50, oil would need to leak enough to fill the crankcase, exhaust (as you noted) and back up into the intake. It will get into the carb through the idle passage, and the throttle needle.

The carb bowl overflow likely dumped oil faster than the rate oil pump leaks. That will keep oil below the level of the silencer.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

you may want to pull the jug off and see if the crankcase has oil in it as well...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

WOW!!!!! Thanks for all the valuable information!!! I've got a couple months before "scooter season" to put this info to good use. Thanks :2thumbs:
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Muffler is built like a Spree, just fire up your gas grill and throw it in. It helps to stick your air nozzle into each end of the muffler and blow out the oil smoke every fifteen minutes.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

It's clean now!!!! I took the guards off and put it in my outdoor wood boiler. Smoke and flame came out of both ends for awhile. When it got cherry red it was done. After it cooled, I blew out the dust, cleaned and painted it and it looks and works great!