Honda spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bt8000
Noob
Noob

Honda spree

Post by bt8000 »

Hi, I have a 1986 honda spree. It is running perfect and the motor was just rebuilt by a honda mechanic. The only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't have enough low end power. It takes a very long time to get going from a complete stop and will only go 5 mph up a big hill. I just replaced the belt the spark plug and air filter and it seems to be running the same maybe even slower. Any advice anyone could give me would be awesome as I am really stuck on what could be wrong with it.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Honda spree

Post by swimmingfree »

spree are slow its the way it is ... sorry ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Yes the spree can be very slow to start, usually until about 10-12mph. Always keep an eye in the airbox lid. If it's not sealed to the airbox it can cause a lean condition and it won't run to its full potential.
I believe someone on this forum has discussed swapping in stiffer clutch engagement springs from a different model scooter(jog?) for a higher rpm when accelerating from a stop.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I dont know that sounds a little slow. I'd check the compression just in case. I'd find a head from an 84 or 85 spree. It will bump the compression up and really help the take off. The domed 86 piston with the 84 or 85 head is a winning combo. My stock spree motor had great bottom end compared to the stock setup with a port job a ported intake 86/87 reed block with carbon fibre reeds and the tuned pipe. The pipe diddnt kick in until higher so the better compression really helped. Also everyone is very right with the possibility its lean. It will have no guts if the air box is leaking. Does the engine rev and you dont go anywhere or does the motor bog? I'd look at the clutch pads if the motor revs and its slow to take off.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bt8000
Noob
Noob

Post by bt8000 »

It runs really well and I just replaced the air filter and screwed it back on tight so I don't know if that is the issue. The only thing I could think is that the clutch is working improperly. But at a stop it will go just extremly slow my best friends spree can make it thru twice as fast. It's just lacking low end power because it goes great on flats once up to speed. It just seems much lower low end then it should. And it goes 5 mph up hills. It seems like the rpms don't get high enough either but I don't know how to fix that either.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

do a compression test on it and get back to us... have you have the manual ???
if so read the part about setting the carb...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

So is the motor reving up but the scooter going slow anyway. Or are the revs really low and boggy untill you get on the flats? If the motor was rebuilt, was there any kind of break in done? A compression would be the best idea right now. You should make sure the air hose from the air box is properly connected to the carb. It could be horribly lean
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Honda mechanic title may or may not confer any particular expertise, particularly working on these getting-rare 50cc machines. There are bunches of people on this Forum (Even Me!) that I'd trust more than some guy in a Honda shop. Compression check is quick and easy to do, and could explain your low-power issues immediately if found to be wanting. Next look for air leaks - anywhere - making for a lean condition.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The Honda mechanic title may or may not confer any particular expertise, particularly working on these getting-rare 50cc machines. There are bunches of people on this Forum (Even Me!) that I'd trust more than some guy in a Honda shop. Compression check is quick and easy to do, and could explain your low-power issues immediately if found to be wanting. Next look for air leaks - anywhere - making for a lean condition.
You said what I was thinking but diddnt say ;-) not a lot of techs understand 2 strokes these days.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

Was the bore run in correctly ?
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo