2005 Honda elite ch80 with no spark , please help someone .!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Re: 2005 Honda elite ch80 with no spark , please help someon

Post by fastcat1977 »

Ok guys , thanks for all the help , it must be the ignition switch that's bad , cause when the connector is unplugged to the ignition switch , the cdi connectors black /white to green show continuity when the kill switch is off ,"bike in running position", but when the kill switch is on ," stopping the bike " there is continuity to ground like it should have , so this means the kill switch is working as it should , cause when the ignition switch is plugged in, key in on position it shows continuity to ground and it shouldn't , so Thanks for the all the help , I ordered a ignition switch a few days ago with my fingers crossed , now feeling a little better about my decision, thanks ...!!!
by the way who do I give the $20.00 to, I'm good for my word...!!
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

Johnniespeed wrote:You could simply unplug the CDI and ignition switch, then check the black/white wire to make sure it has no continuity to ground, that wire must be open circuit.
Then reconnect the CDI, leaving the ignition switch disconnected, then jump the black wire to red wire , this will simulate the key in the on position, hold brake lever make sure brake lights work ,push starter button and check for spark. Don't skip or modify these steps or the test is invalid.

Ok guys , thanks for all the help , it must be the ignition switch that's bad , cause when the connector is unplugged to the ignition switch , the cdi connectors black /white to green show continuity when the kill switch is off ,"bike in running position", but when the kill switch is on ," stopping the bike " there is continuity to ground like it should have , so this means the kill switch is working as it should , cause when the ignition switch is plugged in, key in on position it shows continuity to ground and it shouldn't , so Thanks for the all the help , I ordered a ignition switch a few days ago with my fingers crossed , now feeling a little better about my decision, thanks ...!!!
by the way who do I give the $20.00 to, I'm good for my word...!!
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Good job! Now take it one step further, with the ignition switch unplugged from the wire harness, jumper the black and red wires on the harness, to simulate the ignition switch on, pull on the brake lever and verify the brake lights work, then push the start button and verify the starter works, then check for spark.
" cause we ain't there yet ! "
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

Will do , I'll get back shortly with a response ..!! :coolcruise:
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

OK, just jumped black and red wires from connector leading to the ignition switch , I definitely had spark , so yes the ignition switch must be grounding itself out, thanks for the help , now who gets the $20.00 happy Thanksgiving everyone
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Rather than sending it to me, just take the twenty and buy your girlfriend some flowers.
I am happy that you have spark again, you already had it figured out and just needed a little reassurance.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

Thanks so very much..!!