spree runs kind of...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

brenttannehill
Noob
Noob

spree runs kind of...

Post by brenttannehill »

Hi, first time on this forum. My daughter has an early model spree and I've been riding it to work every day. Never had a problem with it until the other day, I went up a dirt driveway that had a washboard condition. I should have slowed down but didn't and after hitting those bumps real hard, the bike died. I pushed it up the hill to the shop and could start it, but it would only run for about 3 seconds. I checked the spark plug wire and it's fine. I can't think of any reason why it would run for 3 seconds and then "run out of gas" (or so it seems). All the wires seem to be where they should be. It seems that if a wire came off, it wouldn't run at all. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brent Tannehill
Winthrop WA
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Re: spree runs kind of...

Post by Pineapplegti »

Petcock might bee clogged or carb.. the washboard could of broke debris loose in the tank.. Also check the vacuum line from the intake to the petcock.
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
brenttannehill
Noob
Noob

Post by brenttannehill »

The petcock (fuel valve in the manual, right?) doesn't seem to come apart. Do you just replace it? Also, the fuel strainer doesn't come out when you remove the fuel valve. Should it? According to the manual it looks like it should. Also, where is a good source for parts for these scooters?
Thanks,
Brent
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The petcock/fuel valve is Factory-crimped; dismantle-age not recommended, but if in doubt try a few hours in carb cleaner. Nothing to lose if it's already hosed. I got a stuck one working one time.

The strainer can get pretty Cemented in the tank fitting by rein deposits of dried fuel fro a time when it cost 54 cents a gallon. If at first you don't succeed, pry, pry again. Just don't poke a hole in the mesh. All original rubber lines including the Vac should be replaced by now. Use Kreme on the tank if it's flaky.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
brenttannehill
Noob
Noob

Post by brenttannehill »

OK, so I cleaned all the easy stuff, and put carb cleaner in the gas. I just put a new battery in it and it runs better but still isn't fixed. Here are the symptoms: I start it up, it idles fine (with a little help from my hand on the throttle). I can stand there for 5 minutes idling it and breathing the exhaust. If I give it a lot of gas, either by riding it or holding the rear wheel off the ground and revving it up, it goes for about three seconds and dies. Clogged jet in the carburetor?
mwistrom
Noob
Noob

Post by mwistrom »

So Wheelman, the theory here is that at idle, when there is high vacuum and low fuel demand, the carb gets enough gas. But when the throttle is open, either the vacuum is not strong enough to open the gas value in the tank, or if the value does open, the strainer in the tank is clogged. Either way, there wouldn't be enough gas.

Would an easy test be to pull the gas supply to the carb and crank the engine with the throttle closed? How much gas should flow out of the supply line then?

I'm wondering because I have a similar problem... ;)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

Should be about the same rate as a 3-beer whiz.
But the ability to idle, yet not make the transition to the main jet is usually a problem with the still-clogged Pilot. See the Tiny Pin-* O'Light? You can search that term.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
brenttannehill
Noob
Noob

Post by brenttannehill »

OK, I took apart the carb, and cleaned out the main jet, which had a spec of dirt in it. The tube from the gas to the float bowl was not blocked (I blew through it), I put it back together, and still there's the same problem of idling fine, but when I give it gas, it dies. When I had it apart, and took the gas line off, no gas came out, even when I opened the gas cap. Is that normal?
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

You check your exhaust pipe? Maybe something jumped in the tip and you're choking out. Idk. Or maybe the autochoke popped into the "on" position. Might try a cheapo $6 autochoke from ebay. I've had repeated luck with those.
brenttannehill
Noob
Noob

Post by brenttannehill »

Thanks for the help. I just ordered an auto-choke, and will check the exhaust next.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

if it idles fine open the air box and check the air filter element for rotten-ness. then check air hose from air box to carb, make sure the rubber hose is not cracked or leaking. check the airbox lid when you put it all back together. sounds like a lean condition to me still. you may also want to have a look at the float and make sure its not sticking. and make sure there is no debris in the carb inlet clogging the carb inlet and the seat for the float valve. i had that get me on my golf cart more than once.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
brenttannehill
Noob
Noob

Post by brenttannehill »

I replaced the auto-choke, and checked the exhaust. No change. I'll check the air box, filter and rubber hose next. Thanks!