Tires and Tubes, oh my!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

stevejhgla
Noob
Noob

Tires and Tubes, oh my!

Post by stevejhgla »

Hey all.

My 2001 Elite 50 rear tire has a pinhole leak, and I'm trying to locate the correct replacement tire/tube combo. From what IÔÇÖve seen, most people will replace the wheels with Metropolitan counterparts, which although ideal, is probably a bit too pricey for me at the moment. IÔÇÖve found this tire on amazon, and IÔÇÖm trying to find a tube that is compatible. I would prefer a tube with the angled valve stem, as the straight one that is currently installed is a PITA to air up since it's extends so close to the wheel interior.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Re: Tires and Tubes, oh my!

Post by DirtyE »

I just bought 2 of these tires. Mine were a different size cause I went with used metropolitan rims, but I thought (and still think after holding the tire), it looks like a descent performance tire.

So, I can kind of vouch for the tire, not so much what size or the size of the tube.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

id highly recommend getting a met rim. Lots of threads on here as to why. I just got a continental zippy tire and love it.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Tubes with angled stems are nice, and can be found at motorcyclesuperstore.com for a few bucks. Sizing is fairly liberal; 10" diameter, of course, but fitment is "2.5-3.0" for example. This is because unlike tires, they stretch. Find some affordable Met rims, mount angled valves, and enjoy full Tubelessness with a 90/90 at both ends.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scootfast
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by scootfast »

Keep in mind this worked for me but might not work for you. I have a 2001 Honda elite highly modified and I'm using stock wheels without tubes. I have super bike racing value stems and directional tires and have done 60 mph plus without tubes. Some people say you can't do this but my tech says it's fine. No promises this from my own experience. Don't cheap out on the value stem it' the heart of you tire and wheel combo..Jim
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It works fine at any speed, unless they get soft, like if you pick up a nail on a long ride. With nothing holding the bead in place, they get real wobbly really quick! Don't do this. Met wheels are cheap enough.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH