MOT Help - Steering Loose/Tyre Sizes

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

shr3k
Noob
Noob

MOT Help - Steering Loose/Tyre Sizes

Post by shr3k »

Hey,

I've inherited a Honda Vision NE50 Scoot which I am trying to work out whether to spend money on.

I really wan't to keep it on the road, but not sure if it will be financially worth it!!!

The steering seams loose, a quick search on here and not seen much, wandering if this is a simple strip down and tighten up or if there are bearings/replacements needed?

Both tyres are either bald or cracked. I am unsure at this moment if they are tubed or tubeless?

I am replacing some parts at the moment, all electronics seam to be working fine, and the scoot pulls great. Need to de-restrict it for a little more oomph up hill, but I see there are a lot of resources on this.

Thanks

James
Wheelman-111

Re: MOT Help - Steering Loose/Tyre Sizes

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Hmmm, bald, cracked tires (Uhh, sorry... Tyres) and slop in the steering stem. Nah, nothin' bad could come of those failing, right?

Unfortunately getting to the steering stem involves a good bit of disassembly and plastics removal. It's one of the pesky things about having the tidy Scooter package. You'll also need to lay hands on some pretty big spanners and wrenches, as the fasteners are large. That said, bearing races and balls are cheap, albeit a bit fussy and messy to replace those 54 individual balls slathered in grease. Finding and fixing this isn't optional. I would recommend you not ride the thing until you do. That goes for the rubber, too. Tires are tube-type, but at least here in the U.S. and A. a good pair of tires and tubes from online sources is less than $80. You started with Free, so spending $100 or so might be worth it?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
shr3k
Noob
Noob

Post by shr3k »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Hmmm, bald, cracked tires (Uhh, sorry... Tyres) and slop in the steering stem. Nah, nothin' bad could come of those failing, right?

Unfortunately getting to the steering stem involves a good bit of disassembly and plastics removal. It's one of the pesky things about having the tidy Scooter package. You'll also need to lay hands on some pretty big spanners and wrenches, as the fasteners are large. That said, bearing races and balls are cheap, albeit a bit fussy and messy to replace those 54 individual balls slathered in grease. Finding and fixing this isn't optional. I would recommend you not ride the thing until you do. That goes for the rubber, too. Tires are tube-type, but at least here in the U.S. and A. a good pair of tires and tubes from online sources is less than $80. You started with Free, so spending $100 or so might be worth it?
Well I never said I wouldn't sort it and it was trailered to and from MOT until I knew whether it was road worthy, I know it pulls well though from a small little test drive on private ground.

Am I right in thinking these are variator and exhaust restricted?

I guess ordering the tyres and sorting the slack steering would be fairly simple, and I have the tools required and then some.

Was just getting some experienced points of view!

Thanks
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I just learned that the honda ruckus stem top bearing set is the same as my aero and most likely the elites and the good part is the ruckus set is not loose bearings it is a ring of bearing. Much simpler install.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

Welcome shr3k!!
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
shr3k
Noob
Noob

Post by shr3k »

Thanks!

So I've decided to take a step back from trying to rush an MOT and really see what can be done to not only fix the old girl up, but also prolong her life.

I have new Tyres (Tires) and inner tubes ready to go back on the wheels once they dry, I've sanded them down, given them a lick of primer and sprayed with a little of the Blue Hammerite Paint. Will be refitting the tubes and tyres tomorrow.

The front of the bike will be dismantled and any loose bearings or play in any of the mechanics will be sorted. Any rust or other issues sorted as and when I find them. I also purchased a new set of mirrors for her. I know they are not needed, but it looks stupid without and I prefer to see what's behind without straining back.

Then I'll move to the engine. I have new oil and plugs, and also new fuel as the current fuel has been sat for ages. I'll also check rollers for any wear and tear, there are a replacement set at a local garage, just running low on funds!

Finally I'll look at the rear suspension, brakes etc and make sure everything is working as it should. Make sure electronics are all good and replace battery. I'll also check the exhaust as it's looking a little worn. I can't afford to replace yet, but I might be able to cut her open, clean it all up and weld back up, while also removing the restrictor washer!

Busy weekend planned, and will try to take some pictures as I play!
shr3k
Noob
Noob

Post by shr3k »

The old girl passed the MOT!

Failed on brake lines being sticky, oiled up on site and sorted
Failed on Front Tyre not sat correctly (I changed both so got the garage to redo both tyres to check my work)
Failed on Spring for stand being inadequate which was replaced for a new one
Failed on rear bulb and indicator cap, both replaced on site

Advisories, Exhaust has slight blow, Some fairings are loose but do not affect safety and Steering Tight (I guess over tightening is possible!!!)

All in all a cheap fix up to get her on the road today, all taxed, mot'd and insured now!

I guess the prep work and clean up was worth while!

Next step for me is to secure the fairings and look at replacing the exhaust. Cannot seam to find any higher flow exhausts for the bike so unsure if they are available. Was hoping to find a higher flow quiet exhaust to let it breathe a little better so any advice welcome.

I need to try and get the Fuel/Air ratio sorted in the morning, then look to tidy the old girl up!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Good report... :thumbwink:
Two-stroke engines do not function in the same manner as four-stroke.
Installing an exhaust that is flowing more freely is not a performance enhancement, strictly speaking.
The pipe has specific mathematic dimensions in order to create horsepower at given rpm's.
I will not pretend to know all about this science of exhaust.... :confused:
...but it is nothing like the four-stroke practice of installing a bigger pipe.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"