High-pitched noise when I go over 50kp/h?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Promac
Noob
Noob

High-pitched noise when I go over 50kp/h?

Post by Promac »

This is a 1983/84 Nifty50 (nq50). As soon as the needle gets to 50kph a whiny, high-pitched noise comes on. Is this just some speed warning? Is it some kind of restrictor that I can get rid of? How can I turn off the noise at least?

Thanks for the help
patthesoundguy

Re: High-pitched noise when I go over 50kp/h?

Post by patthesoundguy »

Hate to break the bad news... That isn't a speed warning. Hard to say what it could be without hearing it. Could be a dry bearing? Does the sound come from the front or rear? I would almost pull the belt and rev it up and see of the noise is still there. Narrow it down to the motor itself or the clutch
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Promac
Noob
Noob

Post by Promac »

It's definitely electronic, comes from the front assembly like the indicator noise, and it goes on an off as you go over and under the 50kph mark exactly. I've tested it a lot and it's definitely some kind of switch. It's really weird and annoying.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Could be the speedometer cable. I've had a noise like that come from the speedo before. Gave the cluster a whack and it went away. Not a proper fix but it went away. Disconnecting the speedo cable from the front wheel and taking it for a run will tell you if its the cable and or speedometer. At least its not the motor or the transmission. :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I gotta go with Promac's instincts. Some countries have weird rules and regulations, and from the description of the sound as well as the "exactly 50 KPH" (30 MPH), it sounds just like Nanny. You're being scolded for exceeding the legislated limit. I'd take that as a banner of pride. Do it more! I suspect there's some party-pooping noise-maker whose wire would be absurdly easy to disconnect once you're over the novelty.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

If its a imported spree or has parts from certain parts of japan with will have a 50kph alarm that goes off, or the state it was sold to might have required it. I would keep it on if thats what it ends up being.