1985 Honda Gyro Mixture and Idle screw adjustment

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Re: 1985 Honda Gyro Mixture and Idle screw adjustment

Post by Gyroman »

motormike wrote:The covering of the air intake on the filter housing indicates that the filter is allowing air to pass through very freely.
So freely, in fact, that the fuel does not react to the vacuum, or lack of vacuum, created by this free-flowing filter.
ME TOO ! !...My Gyro S currently has a filter foam that I fashioned from a piece of filter material sold by UNI brand.
I also am required to cover the air intake on the filter housing in order to start my Gyro.
My opinion is that WE ALL have some small bit of varnishing inside the carb that reduces the pilot jet size and not until we create more vacuum with our hand will the pilot be forced to pull fuel from the bowl.
Not sure how this answers the question "why does it die after 30 seconds"...but mine always fires right up after stalling the first time and never stalls again.
oh wow, thanks for chiming in.

Me and dsandwich have been having a PM discussion (I didn't want to influence opinions), and that's very interesting and very helpful to hear.

In our "off the record" discussions I had indicated that I had thoroughly cleaned the carburetor twice, although I didn't clean the emulsion tube because I don't know where it is, and I didn't polish the float valve seat because it looked good to the eyeball, even though I later saw that I should've used a magnifying glass.

I also had called my local Honda mechanics, although I didn't reach my favorite guy there. After explaining what I had done, and the closing of the air intake situation, he was left to suggest compression. Thanks to good old O'Reilly's auto parts free compression tester loaner, I learned another skill, and found the compression to be 120/8 (I don't know what this means), but surprisingly (to me) the readings were lower when the engine was warmed. I called back and they said that could happen.

But now, with your report, my heart is filled with joy, as I had done everything I could do, and it all now appears to be within the range of "normal". I have asked dsandwich to report his results as far as covering the air intake. Hopefully this will "solve" his problem too.

In anticipation of not ever being able to get past the covering of the air intake "solution", I have started thinking about how I will be able to do this with the plastic engine cover on. I haven't taken a look yet, but I'm going to figure something out.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I too have a UNI filter on it. I wonder if this could have something to do with it. I previously thought it might be too restrictive, but maybe it's not restrictive enough? Really want to hear your thoughts on that.

Of course I will never forgive you for not telling us this sooner :wink: , and it was only pure chance that I happened to find the years old post on a different forum that indicated this technique.

Hopefully I haven't suffered too much brain damage from all of the exhaust fumes in the garage. I really can't afford any more, as I have only one brain cell left functioning, but she's doing a heckuva job.

You have made my day.

As far as the "dying after 30 seconds", I found that if I give enough gas to keep it running for just a few moments, it stays running.
I reserve the right to be completely wrong.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Gyroman wrote:
motormike wrote:
As far as the "dying after 30 seconds", I found that if I give enough gas to keep it running for just a few moments, it stays running.
Same thing happens with mine, too. As long as I stay and feather the throttle, stays running. I am sure this is related to the bystarter and it's "reservoir" or "well" as I call it. That very tiny hole that replenishes the supply in the well MUST be fully open to maintain adequate fuel for that initial "cold-start" period. Likewise, the pilot jet must be fully open to supply adequate fuel for the high-idle segment of the initial start-up. One or both of those two items is causing the scenario that we all are experiencing. the emulsion tube being cleaned and all of the holes cleared is also critical to the running, but to what extent it plays on the start-up and die scenario, I'm not sure...bottom line...CLEAN it all... :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

motormike wrote:Initial setting for the Air screw is 2 & 1/4 turns out.

...as per the Honda TG50M service manual... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

motormike wrote:
motormike wrote:Initial setting for the Air screw is 2 & 1/4 turns out.

...as per the Honda TG50M service manual... :thumbwink:
Yeah, I should have been clear that that was for the NN per manual.
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

motormike wrote:
Gyroman wrote:
motormike wrote:
Same thing happens with mine, too. As long as I stay and feather the throttle, stays running. I am sure this is related to the bystarter and it's "reservoir" or "well" as I call it. That very tiny hole that replenishes the supply in the well MUST be fully open to maintain adequate fuel for that initial "cold-start" period. Likewise, the pilot jet must be fully open to supply adequate fuel for the high-idle segment of the initial start-up. One or both of those two items is causing the scenario that we all are experiencing. the emulsion tube being cleaned and all of the holes cleared is also critical to the running, but to what extent it plays on the start-up and die scenario, I'm not sure...bottom line...CLEAN it all... :urban:
Give me a clue where the emulsion tube is on mine. The next time I clean my carb (never :lol: ) I'll do it.
But seriously, where is it?
And might this be called an enricher on other engines? Because a friend said that's what might be causing the problems.
BTW, maybe that's what the little door is for on the NN's :!:
And I just checked. I'll be able to reach the air intake from it. Now to fashion a little piece of plastic to make the task easier.
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

So, motormike, since I see that you're in Nashville, are you going to the Kid Rock fish fry tonight?

Actually, I don't care for the guy anymore, but I only brought it up because a friend of mine is on tour with him playing saxophone.

Johnny "Showtime" Evans. Real nice guy, great sax player who has been slaving away for 30 years, and finally is getting a good paycheck. We are all extremely happy for him.

Kid Rock, before he was anybody, used to come to a local bar every week to see a band that Johnny is in, the Howling Diablos. So at least he's doing a good thing by way of payback.
dsandwich
BMX
BMX

Post by dsandwich »

I tried covering the air intake and the Gyro didn't start at all. Not sure what that means. I tested the bystarter again, and I suspect from all the youtube videos that my bystarter is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PXd0pootTQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLHaVPf7SI

Then again, I thought I knew about small engines and I'm stumped with the Gyro, so what the heck do I know about bystarters? I saw a bystarter on Amazon for 11 bucks so I figured I'd pay twice as much and get one with a replacement carb attached. My gaskets were pretty beat up on my original carb so it seemed like a reasonable purchase (anything to justify the cost). To be continued upon their arrival...
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you. I had high hopes.
Here's hoping the new carb will.
I'm going to replace my bystarter for that price. I tested it, but not precisely.
I'm hoping one fits. They don't specifically say Gyro.
dsandwich
BMX
BMX

Post by dsandwich »

Try this. Who knows if the carb will match up, but I'll be the guinea pig.

http://www.amazon.com/HONDA-CARBURETOR- ... carburetor
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

dsandwich wrote:Try this. Who knows if the carb will match up, but I'll be the guinea pig.

http://www.amazon.com/HONDA-CARBURETOR- ... carburetor
I'm pretty sure that won't fit my 1984, but I did order a bystarter from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-CHOKE-CARBU ... 45&vxp=mtr
For the Spree, etc., but I'm hoping it fits.
And I think I can get it on without taking the whole thing apart again.