Variator

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

solid808
Spree
Spree

Variator

Post by solid808 »

Ok guys I've searched but didn't find direct answers... I'm looking for a variator for my sym dd50 because I've found the one I have in there looks beat up. I'm thinking of getting a ruckus polini variator. Is it worth it? Do I need to mod my case a lot? Or should I just get a regular polini or malossi that just fits... really leaning towards the ruckus polini but would like to know how bad I need to shave my case and is it really worth it? Thank you very much in advance for your input. Also I seen it on the scooter swap shop page.. I'm going to pull the trigger and get one if I can get some definite answers from you moped gurus on this very helpful forum.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
Malossi Fly Clutch w/ blue
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Variator

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

You will need to mod the case and there should be a good write on here about it. I chose not to go that route with my variator and bought one that didn't need any mods. I was pretty noobie back then I would consider it now as I hear it's a good way to go. It's really how much work your willing to put in. From what I remember it's not a tremendous about of modification to get it to fit
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I have the Polini that "just fits" on my bike. After talking to someone who had run both, it didn't seem like there was a huge advantage to use the Ruk variator, but I don't know all the facts . I have read the info on modifying the case to make it fit, and it's not really a big deal to do, I just figured I'd keep it how it is.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

Post by GuavaJam »

A shop on oahu told me aftermarket variators are not much if at all better than stock dd vaio. Must b true if he was willing to sacrifice a sale. if that's the case, look into ramp plates maybe?
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

That extra area for the belt to ride in makes me think at least a few miles per hour but is it worth the mod... or should I get the drop in variator.. right now I have a keli variator I was looking at it and the previous owner of the variator looked like he dropped it on the road and it has dings all around it.. so debating if I should spend the money on a better one or just buy another keli
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

Post by GuavaJam »

Get a better one then. And let us know how it works plz
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

GuavaJam wrote:A shop on oahu told me aftermarket variators are not much if at all better than stock dd vaio. Must b true if he was willing to sacrifice a sale. if that's the case, look into ramp plates maybe?
Don't trust that shop. They clearly have no clue as how a cvt works. Polini and malossi both use better ramp plates have better ramping on the variator face and are lighter. Just because they're losing a sale doesn't mean they know anything about a cvt. It shows the opposite and they probably shouldn't be talking to customers.
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

1man8scoots wrote:
GuavaJam wrote:A shop on oahu told me aftermarket variators are not much if at all better than stock dd vaio. Must b true if he was willing to sacrifice a sale. if that's the case, look into ramp plates maybe?
Don't trust that shop. They clearly have no clue as how a cvt works. Polini and malossi both use better ramp plates have better ramping on the variator face and are lighter. Just because they're losing a sale doesn't mean they know anything about a cvt. It shows the opposite and they probably shouldn't be talking to customers.
That's what I was thinking
So if you were going to buy a variator what would it be? Polini drop in or polini ruckus?
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I run both. If you have over 9:1 gearing you should use the polini for ruckus, zx belt, and a zx rear pulley. If you dont have a zx rear pulley, or plan on buying one, go with the drop in. They really smooth out the shift and give much improved acceleration.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Keli variators are amazing for a 49cc. They're the vario I prefer on anything stock.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

dont use ruckus variator..

get a dio daytona pulley/ramp, are better than keli!

daytona grams rollers.

dd50 has the zx rear trans,zx belt
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

1man8scoots wrote:
No doubt. Years ago I bought a new variator for my otherwise stock Elite, and it made a big difference compared to the OEM restricted variator.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

1man8scoots wrote:I run both. If you have over 9:1 gearing you should use the polini for ruckus, zx belt, and a zx rear pulley. If you dont have a zx rear pulley, or plan on buying one, go with the drop in. They really smooth out the shift and give much improved acceleration.
Is there any truth that the ZX pulley cuts into the top end speed at all?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

veedubh20 wrote:dont use ruckus variator..

daytona grams rollers.

dd50 has the zx rear trans,zx belt
I thought the Keli ones were actually really good?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

That's what I heard but if ramp plates makes so much difference shouldn't the angle and circumference of a variator make a difference too

johnny248 wrote:
veedubh20 wrote:dont use ruckus

:peace: variator..

daytona grams rollers.

dd50 has the zx rear trans,zx

I thought the Keli ones were actually really good?
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears