AFO5E 93 elite sr with morini piston and af16 head!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

willburr76
BMX
BMX

AFO5E 93 elite sr with morini piston and af16 head!!!

Post by willburr76 »

So curiosity got the best of me!!! I bought a 93 elite sr with 1350 miles not running for $300. Took it home and cleaned everything carb. Took the air cleaner box off took it apart no filter. The carb literrally had a 1/4" of sand in the float bowl. Well anyways i took the jug off because i could tell that something was wrong inside had spark fuel must be no compression. Sure enough the piston has a big chunk of it missing between the rings. The head has huge pits in it from the rings im assuming. So im trying to find a piston and ring set for it no such luck. So then I though about a bbk for it but its the wifes scooter and want her to be able just ride it and not have to mess with carb and whatever else. So anyways im looking on amazon and found a morini piston and rings and 41mm it shows the dimentions for pin location and piston length. So im comparing it to the origanal piston. Seems like this is gonna work. So i get the piston and there real close to compression height but when I put the piston in and get the jug on its sitting a ways in the hole. Well Im not sure what the deck height should be so Im looking at the afo5e head and have an extra af16 head well the af16 has a smaller combustion chamber its a bigger head so im thinking what the *. Bolted up and so far so good. Mind I havnt checked compression but theres definatly good air pushing my finger off the spark plug hole. So I just bolted the motor in the frame and hopefully gonna get it started shortly!!! Ill let ya know if it goes or not. Just thought i would see if this is an option for others. Or if anyone has tryed anything similar. Ill let ya know how she goes!!!
Attachments
reduced af05E.jpg
reduced af05E.jpg (19.93 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Re: AFO5E 93 elite sr with morini piston and af16 head!!!

Post by willburr76 »

Any thoughts anyone???
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I've got an afo5e in my 86 aero and I've been wondering if this would work. I'm waiting patiently to see where this goes. If it works this is a game changer for guys like me, that head opens up all kinds of options for aftermarket bores and pipes.
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Well I only used the head from af16 i got af05E jug yet. So not really any big changes for pipes. But I guess my thoughts were is this gonna be an improvement over the AF05E head. The morini piston has a slightly higher dome so it will be interesting. The nut for the rear wheel was cross threaded by previouse owner so i couldnt get it finished today. But plan on tomorrow.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Hi Wilbur, I like your curiosity, but please for peace of mind run a compression test. And I'm sure you are aware of the malossi bore for the af05e. It's worth every penny and doesn't have to be tuned to be a monster if you are worried for your wife. It will most certainly be more reliable;)
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Thank you that might be a good idea. I inquired with SSS and red eft but never got a response. I was curiouse if you have to buy the head with the malossi the way its worded it sounds if the 93 elite you dont need it. I wanna be certain. Ya know. I have not gone anywhere with this the air jet the part that goes down to the floatbowl snapped off. There pressed in there so now I gotta get another carb. Dont much like the stock carb for lack of adjustment!!!
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Ya I signed up for an account on your website. And asked the question there same profile name. Sss site. I dont know but ill be in touch I believe ill be getting that kit anyway!!!