CH80 Clutch woes...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Re: CH80 Clutch woes...

Post by EastCoastCB »

Taking a break from putting the metal grease seal back on the variator to see if it makes any difference. If it acts smoothly and still doesn't make any noises, maybe I should focus on the LOUD EBC brake shoes. Maybe swap the stockers back in.
Then maybe sell it?! :blah:
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

I've got the clutch 90% quiet... It chirps a bit engaging when cold but goes away after a mile or two.

Got my red ch80 parts bike with collision damaged front end running yesterday. Swapped the engine into my black 99. The engine from the black one will be gone through over time by myself.

I also want to try a malossi 107mm bell and clutch setup next time the cover is off. And some 9.5 gram sliders, and a new kevlar belt.

getting better!
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Man, that black 99 ended up being FAST compared to the yellow one.
My buddy who was over while I was doing the swap bought the 99 as soon as he rode it... So I now have a bit of my cash recouped. I have LOTS of CH80 parts if anyone is looking for anything, hit me up. I don't have any extra exhausts to part with, though!

I sacrificed a few bits to get the black 99 gone, so I now need an air filter and a battery for my yellow bike. I also want to try a 92 main jet sometime.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Battery, air filter(s), and Erlandson kevlar belt are here. Ordered some 8.5 gram rollers for it and I think I'm going back to lightly greasing them when these go in.
Right now there's a big "step" when it goes to high ratio and if there is any incline or my lady on the back it almost feels like its bogging. Right around 20-ish mph. This is currently with no grease and 9gr rollers.
Clutch shudders on take off if 2 up or ridden hard solo.
I'm figuring out what parts to order to try an upgrade. I've found an aftermarket bell that will work.
The black 99 is running strong. No clutch noises and better takeoff.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Will be sending off some clutch weights tomorrow to JW Parts Plus in Michigan for Kevlar relining. Its supposed to make a big difference, so I'm really looking forward to trying this out. Will probably buy a brand new bell to go with them, too. The guy over there I've been in contact with has been SUPER to deal with and I'm genuinely excited that I may be closer to fixing this for good.

My new rollers still aren't in, but I'll wait for them and the belt until I can do it ALL.

Even though this yellow 01 has given me a lot of headaches, I still really love tinkering with scooters. :coolcruise:
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

UPDATE

I got the newly relined clutch set in today. Put in along with new prima 8.5 gram rollers and a new Erlandson kevlar belt. The performance so far is ASTOUNDING! Much firmer take-offs with no noise so far! The thing rips now. The acceleration is so vastly improved its crazy.
The reline job looks really GREAT, and they cleaned up the bell extremely well... Looked new when I got it back.
I may need a new battery soon, the $22 one from Amazon barely started her up tonight.
The clutch definitely feels vastly improved in the mile or less I got to try it out. I'm thinking the 8.5 gram rollers are THE weight for me. I need to give it a good run tomorrow to see if the top speed has been affected any. I only got it up to about 42 tonight.
Contrary to what I've read, I've played around with the variator and found that the stock ch80 setup like the grease and seal. I only put a little bit. Probably 10% of what was in there from the factory. Likely even less than 10%...
It smooths out the transition between high and low ratio and keeps it in the engine's sweet spot better. :coolcruise:
I'm excited to put a hundred miles on it asap.! Wish me luck. :2thumbs:
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Still no clutch noise, took a quick spin this am. Man its pulling hard!
Really excited to put some miles on it, but I must admit I'm nervous about any 2-up riding. Its great having the clutch actually grab and hold!
I recommend the JW Parts Plus clutch reline for anyone! Awesome mod and totally worth it!!!!
After LOTS of experimenting with stock clutches, the kevlar is clearly a much better friction material than the fiberglass based oem. This should also last a LONG time.
Feeling a bit victorious this morning.
Gonna smoke and drink coffee for a while and go enjoy this sunny 60* day.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

AWESOME performance continues from this current setup. 15 mile trip 2-up and no ill performance from the drive/clutch. This has been a long, hard victory.
Thankful to have it hopefully fully solved.
I've lost one or two mph on the top, but man the 8.5 rollers and a dab or two of grease have really made the variator work supremely. For a ch80 this thing now feels like a rocket ship. It rapidly gets to 35 then gets to 40 a little slower but still nicely, then takes its time getting from 40-45 but the engine stays revved nicely and acceleration is immensely improved. The clutch grips NICELY. And SILENTLY.
My intake has a slight leak somewhere that I'm having trouble tracking down, so I'm going to pull the intake soon and maybe then I'll pull the trigger on a 90 main jet. Not looking for any big time gains in performance but I think it will help out a tad without affecting mpg too badly.
I'm also working on firmer shocks with a bit more damping, going to have to search around and call in some pro help, but should be able to figure out something. All the little subtle upgrades and love bestowed on this scoot are starting to pay off, finally.
:ndance:
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Been dashing around town on it every day with some 2-up runs to the store etc. The clutch still feels perfect and is silent in its engagement.

A BIG thumbs up to JW Parts Plus for their AMAZING and quick service.