1984 Honda Spree Trouble

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

1984 Honda Spree Trouble

Post by jerz40 »

Hey everyone!
So I've got a problem with my 1984 Honda Spree. I've gone through nearly everything to figure out what the heck is wrong, and still no luck! I even have the Honda Service Manual, and that still doesn't help me. Here's the problem: So it starts right up, sounds great, has excellent power when you give it gas on the stand, and idles perfect! BUT as soon as you hop on it ready to ride and give it the gas the thing gets really doggy and wants to bog right out, I just don't get it! I've taken the carburetor off cleaned it up really nice inside and out, even has a new BI-starter, spark plug, fuel petcock, gas lines, air filter. I just don't know, I'm so frustrated with it, but I just want to get it fix and be done with it. What do you guys think the problem may be here? I really think it's still in the Carb. I dunno. Any help would be great!
Last edited by jerz40 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME! 1984 Honda Spree Trouble

Post by kevinv710 »

needle jet moves up 1 line, meaning clip moves down
motormike

Post by motormike »

kevinv710 wrote:needle jet moves up 1 line, meaning clip moves down
I agree with kevin710. Try the clip down one notch so the needle is in a higher position on take off to give some main jet enrichening.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Oh okay, you guys mean the needle on the throttle cable? That makes sense :geekdance:
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Turn the air screw in clockwise all the way tight to richen it. Then bring it back out a 1/4 turn to half turn at the max. I found my older bikes like that alot better.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meloshameless wrote:Turn the air screw in clockwise all the way tight to richen it. Then bring it back out a 1/4 turn to half turn at the max. I found my older bikes like that alot better.
Thanks I will try that! :D
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Make sure the small orifice in the float bowl that feeds the idle circuit is fully clear, might be partially blocked so its fine under no load but bogs with load. Trying what meloshamless mentioned will help diagnose that as the cause of your issue. Something else to check is the gasket on the cover of the air box it could be damaged or missing.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Was your bike running fine last time you used it or have you just picked it up from somewhere?
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Make sure the small orifice in the float bowl that feeds the idle circuit is fully clear, might be partially blocked so its fine under no load but bogs with load. Trying what meloshamless mentioned will help diagnose that as the cause of your issue. Something else to check is the gasket on the cover of the air box it could be damaged or missing.
Thanks!! I will try all these things out today and let you guys know later what happened.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Ultraliner wrote:Was your bike running fine last time you used it or have you just picked it up from somewhere?
I purchased it back in September, it had real low compression at barely 30psi!!!! I pulled the engine and put a new piston rings kit in from chopchop123 on eBay for $23. It started right up when I put all back together, just ain't right yet. :sad:
patthesoundguy

Re: HURRAY!!! IT WORKS!!! 1984 Honda Spree Trouble THANK YOU

Post by patthesoundguy »

Okay new piston and rings... Did you check the compression after the new rings? What was the condition of the cylinder walls? Did you oil everything when you assembled it? Did you deglace "Hone" the cylinder before you installed the new piston and rings? I wonder if the rings aren't really broken in and seating well. I would almost put a little premix in the tank while breaking in the new rings, that's just me. I hope something simple like your carb being dirty is the issue and you get up and running so you can enjoy that spree :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Okay new piston and rings... Did you check the compression after the new rings? What was the condition of the cylinder walls? Did you oil everything when you assembled it? Did you deglace "Hone" the cylinder before you installed the new piston and rings? I wonder if the rings aren't really broken in and seating well. I would almost put a little premix in the tank while breaking in the new rings, that's just me. I hope something simple like your carb being dirty is the issue and you get up and running so you can enjoy that spree :-)
Thanks for the info, its running good at the moment. Yes I did check the compression, it came to 130 psi. The cylinder walls were perfect, they were smooth enough that they didn't need to be honed. And yes I did oil everything while assembling it. Yeah I probably should premix the gas, just to be on the safe side. I would hate to screw anything else up as it sounds good!
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

jerz40 wrote:Hey everyone!

UPDATE 2/9/16: So I tried what all you guys said and IT WORKED!! I couldn't believe how such a small fix and adjustment actually made a huge difference! I am very happy and couldn't of done it without you guys!! Appreciate it very much everyone! :woot:
Share with us what you did actually to make it working, so later other can follow it. Thanks
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

kevinv710 wrote:
jerz40 wrote:Hey everyone!

UPDATE 2/9/16: So I tried what all you guys said and IT WORKED!! I couldn't believe how such a small fix and adjustment actually made a huge difference! I am very happy and couldn't of done it without you guys!! Appreciate it very much everyone! :woot:
Share with us what you did actually to make it working, so later other can follow it. Thanks
I ended up doing what kevin710 said, move the needle jet clip down one notch which brings the needle higher making the main jet more rich, and it actually worked! I can hop on the spree now and it doesn't bog out! :coolcruise:
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

Please bear with me for more investigation on this issue.
Do you remember, did that needle jet come with that carb as a set originally?
I know your scooter now has amazingly strong power compared to before, but you still have a couple more steps to do to max it out.
I would run it as a little richer during breaking-in period, since you just got top end set installed.