iowa spree top speed issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SlowHonda
Noob
Noob

iowa spree top speed issue

Post by SlowHonda »

so i recently picked up an 86 iowa honda spree and it was topping out at 25mph so i did some research and found out they have a more restricted muffler on the iowa model so i tore it down and i ordered a aftermarket muffler i cut off the old one and welded the new muffler on and put a e3 plug in new battery being the old one was shot and made an intake for it so it could breath better and got it all back together today and took it out for a ride just to find out not much had changed it was accelerating much faster but was topping out at 25mph still and actually sounded like it was hitting a limiter i can tell it has more in it i have even had lighter people ride it and dose the same thing you can tell it wants to go faster i have even messed with the needles on the carb still nothing i dont need it to be insane but i cant be riding it around town at 25 i cant keep up with traffic i will get my self killed id like to hit about 30-32 at the least please help!!!
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Re: iowa spree top speed issue

Post by Meloshameless »

Did you take the back peice off the variator? Also needs an up jet. Check the forum for sizes.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought Sprees didn't have a variator, just a clutch
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I think im reading this right, you attached an aftermarket muffler to the existing header pipe? The exhaust restriction is in the header pipe, right by where it bolts up to the cylinder so if you havent drilled it out, thereby removing the restriction you wont be achieving a great deal
motormike

Post by motormike »

SlowHonda wrote:so i recently picked up an 86 iowa honda spree and it was topping out at 25mph so i did some research and found out they have a more restricted muffler on the iowa model so i tore it down and i ordered a aftermarket muffler i cut off the old one and welded the new muffler on and put a e3 plug in new battery being the old one was shot and made an intake for it so it could breath better and got it all back together today and took it out for a ride just to find out not much had changed it was accelerating much faster but was topping out at 25mph still and actually sounded like it was hitting a limiter i can tell it has more in it i have even had lighter people ride it and dose the same thing you can tell it wants to go faster i have even messed with the needles on the carb still nothing i dont need it to be insane but i cant be riding it around town at 25 i cant keep up with traffic i will get my self killed id like to hit about 30-32 at the least please help!!!
So, I recently picked up an 86 Iowa Honda Spree, and it was topping out at 25mph, so I did some research and found out they have a more restricted muffler on the Iowa model, so I tore it down, and I ordered an aftermarket muffler.
I cut off the old one and welded the new muffler on and put an e3 plug in.
New battery, being the old one, was shot, and made an intake for it so it could breath better and got it all back together today and took it out for a ride just to find out not much had changed.
It was accelerating much faster, but was topping out at 25mph still, and actually sounded like it was hitting a limiter.
I can tell it has more in it.
I have even had lighter people ride it and does the same thing.
You can tell it wants to go faster.
I have even messed with the needles on the carb, still nothing.
I don't need it to be insane, but I cant be riding it around town at 25.
I can't keep up with traffic.
I will get my self killed.
I'd like to hit about 30-32 at the least.
Please help!!!

Punctuation saves lives... :urban:

First thing, Ultraliner is correct.
You've ruined the exhaust by cutting it in two, and have completely missed removing restriction.
Adding some random muffler to the head-pipe has changed the Algebraic formula by which it was designed and built.
It's true that Spree does not have a variator. Meloshameless has given inaccurate info.
I'm not sure how you decided which E3 plug to use, but this plug cannot improve speed. Go back to NGK.
I do not have the formula for de-restricting an Iowa Spree, but it can be found in this forum using the Search feature found at the top, right of the page.
Going faster than 30 mph and keeping up with traffic is only possible with a Spree when you swap the engine.
I hope you don't kill yourself... :urban:
(If Bear 45-70 were still here, you would be called many hurtful names.)

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

My bad, didnt read well last night. Lol. However i have done 30mph on a stock un-modified spree. Of course not the iowa version, so its attainable..
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
SlowHonda
Noob
Noob

Post by SlowHonda »

Thank you for the help. I'll drill that out and weld the old muffler back on.
SlowHonda
Noob
Noob

Post by SlowHonda »

So I pulled off the header and I do not see a restrictor. Is it in the head? Or the pipe?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Header opening
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
SlowHonda
Noob
Noob

Post by SlowHonda »

Okay so I did a little looking around and my pipe does not have a restrictor. Is there something else that could be making it cut out at 25. I mean as soon as it hits 25 it starts popping and sputtering. Could it be a jet issue?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Throw it on the barbie
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Your probably running too lean, if the washer is missing from the muffler and it's an actual Iowa Spree, then someone drilled it out and probably didn't rejet it thinking it would be fine just drilling out the muffler
SlowHonda
Noob
Noob

Post by SlowHonda »

What size jet would I need?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

In the very least, a 68, the Iowa editions usually have a 62 or 65 I believe. I'd look around though and see what others are using. I'm still pretty new to the Sprees myself. Don't wanna steer you wrong.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

eclark5483 is correct, regular spree is 68 jet and the iowa is a 65 jet. Now my question is what exhaust was fitted to the stock header pipe. Not all exhausts are going to work with a two stroke. The spree is so very sensitive to any changes you make. If it has a 65 jet in the carb it will be lean to begin with and not run right. Opening up the exhaust too much will not have a positive effect on performance. An exhaust not tuned properly or having certain resonance characteristics can negativly affect perfomance big time. The backpressure has to be just right or the thing will be useless. A worn out belt can really limit top end speed, the width spec is in the manual. As much as i like E3 spark plugs in some of my small engines, I dont recomend one for the spree. The proper plug is an NGK BPR6HS or 7HS or 8HS. Other brands or plugs types dont seem help to the performance on a stock spree. You want the proper heat range, hard to tell you are getting that with the E3. With the proper NGK plug you wont be chasing your tail during trouble shooting. Removing the airbox on a stock spree topend with the stock carb will NOT improve the perfomance! I have done extensive testing with that. And removing the airbox requires at least 70 to 72 main jet. But even if you upjet you will not gain any performance. With out upjetting the carb you will destroy the cylinder and piston in no time. Even with the proper MLM tuned pipe removing the airbox and upjetting the carb, there was no change in performace, or top speed.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock