Just bought a 48mm BBK for my Iowa Spree, have a couple ????

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Just bought a 48mm BBK for my Iowa Spree, have a couple ????

Post by eclark5483 »

So I just bought the kit on eBay that chopchop*123 sells. I see it comes with a new jet. I am wondering what is the size of that new jet and should I consider a different size.

Also, when I go to drill out the washer in the muffler, what size bit should I use?

My next question is about grilling it to get all the carbon out (Although I might just buy a MLM people's pipe instead, still undecided on how much I want to spend). But anyway, when I toss it on the barbie, should I just let it set or should I be blowing air or something into it to expel the burnt up chunks?

It's my assertion, and correct me if I'm wrong, that I cook it till it stops smoking, let it cool, then run a hose to it to flush out the gunk. Is this correct?
Ultraliner

Re: Just bought a 48mm BBK for my Iowa Spree, have a couple

Post by Ultraliner »

I have just done the exact same work on my scoot, minus having to drill out any restrictor washer. If you run with the jet size that Taz provides with the kit and do the airbox lid mod you'll be fine. I tried to get away with smaller holes in my airbox lid and it wouldnt rev out properly.

One thing I would suggest is to bypass/disable the oil pump completely and run 32:1 premix. Taz has also mentioned in another thread that this is fine. Running 32:1 premix along with the oil pump is a ridiculous amount of oil.

And yes, get that pipe roasting until smoke/flames stop coming out of it... Can take awhile tho but is a great time to grab a beer or 2 and watch it cook. I wouldnt worry about flushing it with a hose either, pretty sure the first few seconds of running will blow any residual dust out of it ;)
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Yeah once you get riding on the bbq pipe it will clean it out
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Get that restictor washer drilled out if you havent already. I cook the pipes untill they glow as red as i can get them for as long as i can and the flames stop shooting out of both ends. Let it cool completly on its own, do not quench with water. And i wouldnt rinse the pipe with water, use compressed air to blow the ash out. The MLM pipe is great if you want to spend the cash on it. I think the jet in the bbk is either an 85 or 92 cant remember, Im sure Taz will chime in and give the correct jet size. I agree with Ultraliner you gotta get that airbox opened up enough or it will be too rich. You can use a pod filter in place of the airbox, like a uni. I tried a K&N filter that fit the spree carb before but it was almost as restrictive as the stock airbox beleive it or not.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Get that restictor washer drilled out if you havent already. I cook the pipes untill they glow as red as i can get them for as long as i can and the flames stop shooting out of both ends. Let it cool completly on its own, do not quench with water. And i wouldnt rinse the pipe with water, use compressed air to blow the ash out. The MLM pipe is great if you want to spend the cash on it. I think the jet in the bbk is either an 85 or 92 cant remember, Im sure Taz will chime in and give the correct jet size. I agree with Ultraliner you gotta get that airbox opened up enough or it will be too rich. You can use a pod filter in place of the airbox, like a uni. I tried a K&N filter that fit the spree carb before but it was almost as restrictive as the stock airbox beleive it or not.
Do you have a link to a decent pod filter for it?
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I sent a 90 main with the kit. A 87-90 seems to be the honey spot for the most part.

Yes you have to be careful what filter you use. Some filters out there are not as free flowing as they look. You can't go wrong with the clamp on single layer Uni filter.

Taz
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Thanks Taz, just got the kit today. Now I just gotta find time to get it installed. Not looking for a huge speed increase, just for a basic overhaul and something that can carry my 300+ lb frame with it in regular traffic here around Spencer at oh say 30-35 mph. The typical Iowa edition Spree just isn't up for that, but I'm pretty confident your BBK along with the pipe cleaning/drilling should get me just where I want to be. It will already do 25 even with my fat azz on it at stock, so I know the changes I make will suit me just fine. I've spent a good chunk of money on this Spree, and have invested alot of research and effort into it. It's gonna be BEAUTIFUL once I am done with it. Already have a new trunk, windshield, mirrors, mp3 player, tires, etc, ordered for it, currently talking with an eBay seller who has reflective decals that I'm gonna replace it with... trying to get some customized "IOWA" edition stuff done for the decals to really make it pop and stay true to it's heritage. Also have a buddy at Polaris where I work doing some paint mixing work for the paint job. (Iowa Hawkeye yellow and black). I'm shooting for a July 4th official reintroduction to the world debut date to have it all done.

P.S. Taz, just left you positive feedback on eBay, thanks again.