Need help finding a part for SA50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

Need help finding a part for SA50

Post by needmoreinfo »

1994 elite SR. The seat has a steel rod that goes into the latch to lock it. It is missing. What is this called? Where can I order it? I was thinking of making my own somehow possibly. -needmoreinfo
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help finding a part for SA50

Post by vintagegarage »

The rod comes with the seat and can't be ordered separately. The seat (with the rod included) is one of the few seats still available from your local Honda Powersports dealer, or from one of the online vendors, but they are pretty pricey, going for around $100. But you do get a brand new seat with a perfect cover.

see: http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... 2073f/seat

If your seat and cover are still pretty nice and all you really want is the rod, then post an ad on this forum in the wanted section, and maybe someone will have a used one.. short of that, get a rod from a supply store and cut it to length... sorry about that..
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

needmoreinfo wrote:1994 elite SR. The seat has a steel rod that goes into the latch to lock it. It is missing. What is this called? Where can I order it? I was thinking of making my own somehow possibly. -needmoreinfo
It has a special tapered end on it and is not available from Honda.
I have some old seats from sa50 and if I can remove one, I will send it to you. Those get kinda rusty down here so all I can do is try. PM me for my paypal info
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I did get this one to come out without stripping the phillips head, and I recommend you get both parts as both of these threads are known to be good. Are you sure about the threads on yours? lmk! Bones
007 copy.jpg
007 copy.jpg (112 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
006 copy.jpg
006 copy.jpg (137.12 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
008 copy.jpg
008 copy.jpg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Bonesv.. needmoreinfo may have been referring to the rod that is under the seat that runs between the two plastic mounds, and is what hooks into the latch itself, not the hinge pin.. not sure though.. needmoreinfo.. what is the rod you need?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

vintagegarage wrote:Bonesv.. needmoreinfo may have been referring to the rod that is under the seat that runs between the two plastic mounds, and is what hooks into the latch itself, not the hinge pin.. not sure though.. needmoreinfo.. what is the rod you need?
I see. Hmmmm. If the plastic is not trashed out, I just drill it out the same size as a 8mm bolt and thread one in. It works just fine. Also, a short piece of 6mm rod works too as long as the plastic is not damaged too badly. I have some rear racks I have cut up and used the smaller gauge rod cut to length. I would send needmoreinfo a piece for cost of shipping.
Thanks for the clarification on which end of the seat we were talking about. :bowrofl:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

re: insert a bolt and thread it into the plastic. I did that on one of my elite seats too.. so far it has been working well and hasn't come loose.