Spree ignition help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Davisbm2
Noob
Noob

Spree ignition help

Post by Davisbm2 »

Hey,
So I'm new to the world of mopeds. I just picked up an '87 Spree and I'm working through the process of getting it started. It has good compression, but no spark. I'm trying to locate the cause via the normal culprits (cdi, coils, stater, pulse, ect.). However, somethings funky about the ignition.
It seems the key cylinder is gone. It's like the base of the ignition is there, the wires, but where you might put a key is mia. Could that be one of the reasons I'm not getting spark? Can I simply unplug it the ignition? I has a Kickstart. Someday I will replace the key cylinder (or whatever it's called) but before I invest too much I wanna get this sucker going. ANY advice on getting a spark and my ignition question would be great.
Thanks
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree ignition help

Post by eclark5483 »

Yes, even with no battery, key needs to be in the on position to start it. You'll need to get that fixed first.
Davisbm2
Noob
Noob

Post by Davisbm2 »

Thank you so much!
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

Hey Davis! I am having similar symptoms and I believe it is the ignition cylinder as well. Please pm me if you figure out the bypass if that is the route you are taking. I know that it is not difficult to do I am just not a fan of electricity. Good luck!
'84 Honda Spree (s**** broke mane)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

There are posts here on the board on the bypass, I can't remember what goes where at the moment. All you need to do is download the shop manual and spend some quality time with the wiring diagram. It shows what shorts to what when you turn the key. I'd get a pack of the female and male crimp on bullet connectors that match the ones in the harness so you can make jumpers and put a toggle in place of the key in till you get the switch sorted out. With the proper connectors you won't hack up the harness and cause more issues.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

This should help. Shows what goes to what on the switch to get fire. If you disconnect the black/white wire from the green wire which is ground im thinking you should get spark.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Davisbm2
Noob
Noob

Post by Davisbm2 »

Thanks all! I ordered an oem switch that I'll get to install this weekend. I'll let ya know what happens. Seemed easier than the bypass method with my limited electrical knowledge, but thanks to all for the input. I may have to utilize that method down the road.