85 NQ Spree Starter Teeth

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

85 NQ Spree Starter Teeth

Post by jakubman1 »

Ok so on my Spree when i go to start it sometimes the starter will "free" spin. Like not engaging at all. Then sometimes it'll partially engage and make a loud horrible screeching sound. I checked my bendix it was fine so i replaced it anyways. Still the same problem. I was told before it was NOT my bendix. I probably need to check the teeth on the starter. But when it does engage it fires right up just fine. Is there a way to replace the teeth on the starter motor? The original owner im guesing didnt know any better and was abusing the electric starter , hitting the throttle while keeping starter engaged.

Thanks
Jakub
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 85 NQ Spree Starter Teeth

Post by MrJumps »

The kicker panal needs to be on with an gasket it will bind or fall out of the mount.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

On the 85 nq 50 there is no kick starter . Only electric start. When I took off my side panel I did not see any gasket. Is there suppose to be one there ?? I thought only kick start has this gasket spacer? Thank you
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

there is maybe a washer on the gear, but there is a gasket between the case and side panal
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

A washer on which gear.? Should I go ahead.and order the side cover.gasket ?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Is it possible to replace just the teeth on the starter motor?? The bad symptoms only happen sometimes. Bendix gear and crank gear look great. Battery is bran new. Bendix never gets stuck . I cleaned everything and lubed the bendix and replaced my belt and clutch. :/

It sometimes makes a horrible metal sound sometimes when trying to start it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

jakubman1 wrote:Is it possible to replace just the teeth on the starter motor?? The bad symptoms only happen sometimes.
The teeth are machined onto the armature shaft. IMHO, just swap in a good armature *if* the teeth are bad.
Armature_sm.jpg
Armature_sm.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I inspected the teeth. They look like new. Same with the bendix looks great. I placed my thumb on the bendix and cranked it over. Everything is working fine. I was told that it's my side panel where the bendix pushes into. If it's loose it'll do the symptoms I am talking about.It is just a little. Any tricks to fix?
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I already talked to jaku about this. I have seen this problem before. I think its where the bendix seats into the cover. If there is to much play it will bind the bendix when it engages on the face(flywheel). I have seen plenty of spree's and elite e that will start without a cover gasket. If you want to test to see if it is the gasket you can use masking tape as a shim. The way I use to fix this problem was to put a new sleeve in where the bendix seats into the cover. Hope that helps.

Mouse it nice to see you post :naughty:

Taz