Stock spree operating temps

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Stock spree operating temps

Post by jakubman1 »

Temps.are 304
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Okay first off posting that many times is confusing because im dyslexic and its all mumbled around.

This is what im under standing.

Your carb is only on by 1 bolt, you wot for a while and temps creap up to like 304 or close to that and dont go any higher or keep there. Now I am trying to figure out what your asking? The tope temp on your kit? Taz included a sheet of paper with that information on it. I belive 300 is his top zone though. Now I would back up to the carb though. Thats really bad, your gonna break whats left of the flange off, goto home depot or your favorite home store and take the bolt with you and go the next size down in bolt and find a "square flat nut" and 2 small washers to use before the carb flange and before the bolt. Seriously if you keep running the motor like that you can gain a narley airleak and all it takes is that temp to spike to 350 or so and your top end is toast. Dont worry about jetting till its figured out. Also use the 86 carb if its together, the newer carb is easier to find auto enrichers on the 85 is a pain. You should be able to just swap them over. Also make sure your exhaust gasket has 0, not a drop, 0 oil residue near it.

Also poping in exhaust is lean.

The way ive been told is if it is poping its because there isnt enough fuel and the pulse is thrown into the pipe and next fire it lights the pipes fuel.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

No I do not have an air leak. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and there is no affect to the engine. Also no I haven't seen any oil come from the exhaust o ring. Taz instructions say no higher than 350-375.
I did fix my carb bolt with a few washers and a flat nut. Maybe it's my 30:1 oil ratio .
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I always have some oil around my temp sensor where the plug is. Its been like that ever since I had the sensor.
If that helps any. And I can see a little oil around the plug.
Alright so I took off temp gauge and I can still see a little oil coming up against the plug. I'll get a new one and put it on without the temp gauge.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

It was the plug seal washer. Lmao :bowrofl:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The domed piston is a great boost if you have an 84/85 head. It's a winning combo :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

jakubman1 wrote:It was the plug seal washer. Lmao :bowrofl:
Were you running the temp sensor with the washer on the plug in place?
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Yes. And my sensor always had oil on it.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You need to remove the washer from the plug before you use the sensor. The sensor becomes the washer on the plug
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Patthesoundguy was right ! Removing the plug washer and just using the sensor works!

So i rode the crap outta the spree with the stock Taz piston and my temps were at 343. After riding and letting it idle iam at 288 or so.

Cant wait till my MLM People's Pipe comes in Friday to see some more speed. Iam topping out at 30mph flat roads. With a rear clutch axle from an 86 spree from ebay 6$
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Result! Love it when guys have a problem and then report back on how they resolved it

Happy trails on that bad boy jakubman ;)