'99 Elite 50 De-Restrict (Update: Starter Pinion Help)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Raharu
BMX
BMX

'99 Elite 50 De-Restrict (Update: Starter Pinion Help)

Post by Raharu »

After picking up a bone stock '99 Elite S last week that tops out at 25, I decided to pop off the kick start cover and attempt to remove the restrictor plate in the front clutch. However, I seem to have bit off a bit more than I can chew with my current tools; following this video as a general guide, it seems he uses a homemade tool to hold part #2 in place while ratcheting off the nut.

Is there any way to do this without making this tool?

I've also encountered a bit of a problem getting this part (sorry for lack of knowledge on the proper term) reinstalled correctly when putting the cover/kickstart back on...

Apologies in advance for the noobish question; I know this is supposed to be one of the easier things you can do to your scoot, but this is my first time doing any real wrenching and I couldn't find a start to finish guide on the process after searching the forums or Wikispreedia... surely such a thing exists? Thanks!

EDIT: It seems I'll need at least a drive torque ratchet and a flywheel holder to get this job done. Definitely bit off a bit more than I can chew right now. Still have no idea what I need to do to get the variator off without a custom tool like this one. Is there any way to get the starter pinion properly reinstalled without being able to remove the front clutch?
Last edited by Raharu on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: '99 Elite 50 De-Restrict/General Help

Post by Meatball »

I just use my handy cordless DeWalt impact driver with a socket on it. But you can also use a strap wrench along with your socket set. Like $10 at Lowes or HD.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

Meatball wrote:I just use my handy cordless DeWalt impact driver with a socket on it. But you can also use a strap wrench along with your socket set. Like $10 at Lowes or HD.
Not only do I know jack-all about scooter disassembly, it seems I'm woefully ignorant of tools in general! Had no idea such a thing existed, but they certainly look capable of the job. Thanks!
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

Okay, so I picked up a torque driver ratchet today and am waiting on the strap wrench to get delivered, but in the meantime I thought I'd post this...

http://imgur.com/a/joj6K

There's a stray hose that's sticking out just above the rear clutch and seems to be leaking fluid onto the rear kickstart cover... any idea what this is or where it goes? It doesn't seem like it's supposed to be like this.
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Post by Raharu »

Update on the de-restrict!

The strap wrench, after much struggle, managed to get the bolts off. It broke in the process, though; it just doesn't grip the teeth of the front crankshaft well enough to re-tighten to spec. The impact driver was definitely the way to go, but it's hard to justify shelling out so much cash for something I'll only use on the scoot. Definitely gonna have to get something better than a strap wrench when it's time to upgrade the whole variator...

Anyways, the restrictor plate is gone, but I'm having a bit of trouble putting her back together. The starter pinion's gear simply won't align with the front drive gear. It gets pushed too far back when putting the front kickstart cover back on. Anyone know how to get it properly reinstalled?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: '99 Elite 50 De-Restrict (Update: Starter Pinion Help)

Post by Meatball »

Did you get the Strap Wrench from Harbor Freight? I got mine for less than $10 at Home Depot and it comes with a lifetime guarantee to never break!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-S ... /203526056

The starter doesn't need to be lined up and should be fully seated in its hole before putting the cover on. The teeth will mesh by themselves when you engage the starter.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Re: '99 Elite 50 De-Restrict (Update: Starter Pinion Help)

Post by Raharu »

Meatball wrote:Did you get the Strap Wrench from Harbor Freight? I got mine for less than $10 at Home Depot and it comes with a lifetime guarantee to never break!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-S ... /203526056

The starter doesn't need to be lined up and should be fully seated in its hole before putting the cover on. The teeth will mesh by themselves when you engage the starter.
Picked it up on Amazon, actually. It also has a "Lifetime Guarantee" so we'll see how far the company is willing to stand behind it! Sounds like I should just pony up the extra $10 and stop by Home Depot, though :lol: Yours looks way better designed; that metal joint where the two ends of the strap meet was PLASTIC on mine and snapped almost instantly.

I'm a huge dummy, thanks for letting me know. Got it all back together now. Took her for a test spin only to find she was running slower than before... at first I thought the drive belt could be slipping, but it was only when I got back home that I realized the back tire has somehow gone completely flat over the course of this endeavor :shock: