Blue smoke

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Triumph76
Noob
Noob

Blue smoke

Post by Triumph76 »

I am new to this 2 stroke scooter stuff. I bought a '01 Elite with 780 miles for a pit bike. It starts fine, but there is blue smoke and it hesitates on acceleration. Once it is warm, the hesitation is gone and runs fine. But the blue smoke is still there. I've put in a new plug, cleaned the carb, and made the adjustments for the idle and throttle settings from the service manual posted here, but it still leaves a cloud. When I removed the carb today to clean it, there was a little oil in the intake to the carb from the air filter. Oil pump issue? I have not done a compression test. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Blue smoke

Post by Meatball »

What does the air filter look like? Those foam filters get plugged up or degrade over time and dry out. They need to be in good shape AND oiled for it to run properly. They are designed by Honda to create the precise amount or airflow paired with the correct amount of resistance to create the vacuum pressure needed. This may or may not be your problem but for under $10 it wouldn't hurt to take a look at your potentially 15yr old filter.

Seems like every scooter I buy is in dire need of a filter. One scooter I bought, the filter was bone dry and another was so old that it just disintegrated to dust when I touched it. A third one had NO filter in it at all and a Spree that my buddy bought had A KITCHEN SPONGE in it! You never know what you'll find in an airbox....next one might have Jimmy Hoffa in it!

Seriously though, I mention filter because I played around with different airbox configurations on my Elite motor and a few different ones made it run OK but caused it to puke blue smoke. My final conclusion was that it was only happy with the stock airbox with proper filter installed. Link to a new filter below. Double-check the description to make sure its for your scoot before you buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Elite-50- ... 3f&vxp=mtr
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

My best guess would be that your oil pump seeps a bit of oil as it sits. When you start it cold, it has to burn all that oil and get it out of the system.

Its not really a bad thing as long as the bike is running well and has a good spark plug color.

My bike has a bit of a seep in the pump. The first thirty seconds or so when I start it up cold the bike runs like garbage and leaves a nice blue cloud. As soon as it is all burnt out it runs just fine.
Triumph76
Noob
Noob

Post by Triumph76 »

Thanks for the replies.
I did clean and oil the filter when I changed the plug. Didn't seem to help. For the price of an oil pump I think I can live with it. It will be my contribution to the Zika virus cause.

I also bought a '87 Elite cheap from somebody at work. It hardly ran. The air filter crumbled in my hand. After a new filter and a cleaning/adjustment of the carb, it runs like a $1M. Much better than the '01. I needed a rear brake cable and it took a bit to find a used one. '87's look like they are a one off year?

Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Heres info on the SE50's....that way you can be just as confused as I am on the subject..lol

http://motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Elit ... eSE50.html
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

i will suggest that the muffler may be saturated with oil causing the smoke to be excessive.
Cleaning the muffler of this oil can be accomplished in several ways.
Most common is to burn it out by putting the muffler in a campfire. Repainted will be required.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

The use of a heat gun on the pipe also works put a 10inch long 1 inch metal pipe between the heatgun and it and keep running it, it takes like 10 minutes to start, once it starts it will blow flames for a few minutes and sometimes wont need a repaint.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Triumph76
Noob
Noob

Post by Triumph76 »

Interesting suggestions.
Thanks