Spree with af16 swap. Thottle cable issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Spree with af16 swap. Thottle cable issue

Post by jakubman1 »

So i hooked up my elite throttle cable to the spree twist throttle and after installing it keeps pulling my cable. It stay mostly wot after installing. What is going on? There are no ajustments on my throttle split cable. And if i put my twist in diffrently it wont twist at all. There is only one way. Thanks

Do i need to pick up an aftermarket adjustable one for my spree ?
stevespree7
Goped
Goped

Re: Spree with af16 swap. Thottle cable issue

Post by stevespree7 »

figure this out? i am about to do the same swap
:-/
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

how old is the cable? was it working prior or a new cable? could be just old and seized. I have an aftermarket adjustable cable on my elite. for the price wouldnt hurt to try one. have you tried taking it off to see if its stuck in the sleeve?
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Just grab a new cable, seriously dont play with that if its sticking or causing binding, toss it. Ive seen way to many cables stick on peoples bikes. Instead of replacing them they refer to it as cruise control. More like Darwin Award contestants. I bet its sezing from lack of love for years. If not then your throttle slide in the carb is getting stuck or your grips are binding in the control housing
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I would check the barrel in the carb. Make sure when you slide it in, it goes ALL the way down out of sight. You shouldn't see the top of the barrel before screw the cap on since its so deep in there.

Also check that there are no major bends in the cable all the way down. ESPECIALLY right where it comes out of the carb. Since the cable was never intended to go on this bike, you may have to get creative on how its routed. May be a bit long with some extra slack.
Right where the cable splits into two, theres a mounting clip. On mine I had to use a self-tapping screw and mount the clip in a different spot on the frame than Honda did. Just a few inches away. This solved my major kink issue.

Also check to see if somehow the idle screw isn't screwed in too far. This would stop the barrel from going down.

The barrel has two slots in it. One slot goes partially up the barrel, the other goes all the way up it. Make sure you have the correct slot in the right spot. May just be a matter of rotating the barrel to the other slot.

If none of that helps, the problem lies in the grip area. It CAN be tricky getting the cable wrapped around the guide when putting the grip together.

If that STILL doesn't help...cable might be gummed up. Buy a new cable after youre 100% sure its bad.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Start by taking the barrel out of the carb and let it dangle free. Twist the grip and see if it pulls JUST the oil pump OK and returns back like it should.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.