New to scooters and ran it without air filter.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

KentonElite
Noob
Noob

New to scooters and ran it without air filter.

Post by KentonElite »

Hi everyone. I recently bought a 1989 Honda elite LX with A05E. I love it and I'm hooked for life now. Problem is I rode it home 30 miles with no airfilter housing. It didnt come with one. So I ordered an aftermarket air filter. I couldn't find an OEM replacement. As Im waiting for it to arrive. I rode it that way fine for a week and now it won't start. From research on this site, Im guessing I had a soft seize. Piston still moves freely but seems like no compression. Did I fry the rings,piston, and cylinder? Im having trouble finding OEM parts. So I thought about a BBK. I seen a Malossi on SSS but it says aero/se50. Will this kit work? Are piston pin holes same size? Does Polini make a kit for my engine? TIA for any help. It will be greatly appreciated.
Wheelman-111

Re: New to scooters and ran it without air filter.

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Beg to differ with the distinguished G9; Polini did make a 47mm kit for the SE05 engine, and a rather good one. I had one on F1. Finding one today is another matter. I also had the Malossi version on Flash 2. Both brands feature typical Italian quality.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

The mallossi quality is 0 to none like Polini they are both amazing brands quality wise and like g9 said you cant run without an air box, I blew up a motor doing so, other members have, and now another(you) motor gone to no airbox. If you dont want to run the airbox the carb adapter and a carb is needed. You can try to tape pod filter but you still have to address the idle jet issue and if the tape falls off your temps go up and you have another bore on the shelf (if you horde then like I do) or in the bin.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I had the polini bore for this bike available, but I think I ran out of them. Its out of production i beleive. I run one on my aero. It's awesome, but isn't huge power. I think it's like 7-9 hp. Bulletproof tho, I ran mine lean w no shrouds and it loved it. Wot at 50-something for like 5-10 mins straight.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ps-i don't think the airsal kit will work on this motor. My 89 sa50 motor has a different base gasket outline than my 87 dj-1 motor or multiple 86 aero motor, and the airsal kit leaves a gap in the port area open.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

This is the best way to run a pod filter imo haha. Gorilla tape!
KentonElite
Noob
Noob

Post by KentonElite »

Thanks for all the input. My original plan was to restore it to factory condition. but some parts are impossible to find. I'm going to order the malossi kit and a Polini carb
from SSS. What size carb do I need?
They have 24,26,28,and 30. I have an aftermarket air filter. Do I need to tape it up? Will I need to add oil to gas tank? What's the best way to break it in? Sorry for so many ?'s. But I wanna do things the right way. Thanks.
KentonElite
Noob
Noob

Post by KentonElite »

So I need to order a Polini CP carb in a 19 or 21mm...
I have an air filter like Benji has in his pic that's all taped up.
I've looked for an OEM air filter housing. But can't find one.
What kind of air filter should I use? Thanks.
KentonElite
Noob
Noob

Post by KentonElite »

Thank u so much graphite9. I will b placing an order tomorrow when I gt paid. Can't wait to get started. Luv ur website. U updated ur website. Should I Start looking under aero parts. When I click elite subcategory to brings up a bunch of Dio parts that don't fit my scooter. Thanks. U been a huge help.
KentonElite
Noob
Noob

Post by KentonElite »

Just ordered the malossi bbk. Can't wait til install it.
I will I order the carb and pod next week. I'm so ready to gt this scooter back on the road!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Ehat jets will you order you also need rollers to tune your vari I would sujest talking to g9 about those items the bbk needs the larger card and a specfic jet each bike is a little difrent. I knot its addd cost but a temp gauge and some rollers with jets isnt too mush to add when you think about buying another topend after that one cooks too. If your gonna rebuild do it it right at least.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
KentonElite
Noob
Noob

Post by KentonElite »

The bbk comes with a main jet. I'm hoping I can tune my polini cp carb with it. I'm not sure what size it is. If not I will order a Polini jet kit from SSS. What size should I order? I plan on order cht gauge. I wanna break it in correctly. What gram of rollers do I need? Or should I order the polini variator kit? Thanks for all the heip everybody...
Happy Thanksgiving to all the fellow scooter lovers!
KentonElite
Noob
Noob

Post by KentonElite »

I got my bbk installed and im ready to order my polini cp carb from SSS. Im gona order a cht gauge but dont know if I need a 12mm or 14mm. My batterys dead in my calipers so cant measure it. Any help? Thx.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

A quick PM to graphite9 will answer all your questions. Always make triple sure before ordering anything. Ive made so many snap decisions on ordering parts I didn't need or dont fit its disgusting.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you mean the temp gauge sensor for the spark plug, it is 14mm.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH