86 Spree - rough off the line

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

seattle_spree
Noob
Noob

86 Spree - rough off the line

Post by seattle_spree »

Hi all,
I have a great little 86 spree that has rode amazing over the years as a pretty much every day driver.

Recently I began having a really rough time off the line, stuttering, straining, and bogging down until it hits its stride and accelerates normally from 5mph onward. Top speed is the same and smooth, and if I keep the tires rolling over 5mph it accelerates fine, its just the 0-5mph acceleration that is painful.

I've gone through the air system and everything is clean. Pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning too (it looked spotless already), drained the tank to clean the fuel filter and double check the petcock valve (all looked good). Still having trouble, but seems to improve if I run the idle screw a few turns in farther than I normally do.

Any ideas on this? Thanks!
bonesv

Re: 86 Spree - rough off the line

Post by bonesv »

Pilot jet passage is still partially blocked. It has nothing to do with how the carburetor looks, test the pilot circuit by spraying carb cleaner thru it and getting visual conformation. Also clean the reservoir pin hole in the bowl. Blow it out with compressed air. Set the air/fuel adjustment to start with according to the service manual for your particular year. Adjust as needed but should not be less than 1turn out or there’s something else going on. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Clutch?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yea I didn’t think of that. Clutch springs worn out could be causing the crappy takeoff. Good call meatball!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
motormike

Post by motormike »

Agree with clutch diagnosis as it seems to fit the symptom.
Belt needs checking too.
And...there's NEVER been a case of a carburetor being TOO clean...wink.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Could be what I call the perfect storm... Multiple issues all at once. Pull the clutch apart and take the glaze off of the shoes with rough sandpaper, doesn't take much. And then rough up the clutch bell best you can. That will make a world of difference. I have a new trick for helping to clean carbs, especially that pilot passage in the bowl. Very simple, soak that part of the carb in simple green for pressure washers, or purple power Castrol superclean or some similar to that for several hours. That will really loosen the built up crud.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock