Not getting spark

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

snikro
Spree
Spree

Not getting spark

Post by snikro »

Hi I just bought an 85 spree, and when I bought it it wasn't running and I've been trying to figure out why and I believe now that it's because it's not getting any spark. It cranks fine with the electric starter, but there's no spark going from the plug wire to the plug, and upon further inspection/testing there's not even current going to the coil. Also, I don't know if this matters but the engine will turn over whether the kill switch is in "OFF" or "RUN" - it doesn't matter which one it's on. Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated to help pinpoint this problem.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The kill switch only kills the ignition. Starter will run just as you describe.

No spark - Lot of parts involoved, narrow it down a bit... Check out the Spree service manual in the tech section of this site. Run the resistance checks over everything -
Exciter coil, pulser coil, ign coil
Check out the CDI per the manual

Make sure that the kill switch/Ign switch path is not grounded when you are in the run position
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

the kill switch thing is normal. Break out the multimeter and start tracing wires make sure the kill switch and key switch are working properly. Is the battery charged or is it dead?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

I recently charged up the battery and now it cranks at a reasonable rate, so probably no problem there. I did download the service manual, and I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and started by tracing everything back and forth that has to do with the ignition/starting system. It all seems OK to me, but something interesting to note is that my CDI box is on the left side of the bike rather than the right as it shows in the diagrams.

Also that box near the front of the bike with all the wires going into and coming out of it - I dont fully understand how it's set up. I've gathered that it somehow connects different ones together, but do they have to be in the same row or column or what? Just something that might help me to know what I'm doing better.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

I did some continuity tests and it seems that the black/white wire going from the CDI to the ignition switch is always being grounded, somewhere along the path (accidentally). In the morning going to try to narrow down the exact location.

(In the CDI tests done from the manual, there always seems to be continuity between the ground and the black/white wire at the cdi, regardless of the position of the ignition switch.)
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Actually cancel what I said in the last post - I had the kill switch in "off" the whole time so naturally everything was grounded :x :lol: Now I want to check out the CDI box and the spark plug cap/wire. Also, does anybody know how fast the electric start should be cranking the engine? Mine seems slow but I'm charging it now, and I was just wondering if it has to crank at a certain rate to get the engine to start. (assuming everything else was working properly)

Also, one whole side of the plastic part of my spark plug boot is missing. The metal/tip looks ok but could this cause the whole demise of spark getting to the plug? It looks like this:

rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

snikro wrote:Also, does anybody know how fast the electric start should be cranking the engine? Mine seems slow but I'm charging it now, and I was just wondering if it has to crank at a certain rate to get the engine to start. (assuming everything else was working properly)
Somebody posted this video a while back of starting an Elite 50 engine. A Spree starter sounds exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiDemauxPw8
Also, one whole side of the plastic part of my spark plug boot is missing. The metal/tip looks ok but could this cause the whole demise of spark getting to the plug?
The plastic boot keeps grease/dirt/crud away from the top of the spark plug, but if everything is clean then the missing chunk of plastic won't stop it from running.
'86 Spree x 3
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Wow, my scooter cranks a LOT slower than that. I could just keep it charging but how do I know I won't overcharge the battery or something?
rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

I just use the battery charger to power the bike if I know I'm going to be cranking the starter a lot for some kind of repair. That way it doesn't matter if the battery is weak (or dead, or missing from the bike). I got a cheap little 10 amp charger, and it has no trouble cranking a Spree motor.
'86 Spree x 3
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

rickc wrote:I just use the battery charger to power the bike if I know I'm going to be cranking the starter a lot for some kind of repair. That way it doesn't matter if the battery is weak (or dead, or missing from the bike). I got a cheap little 10 amp charger, and it has no trouble cranking a Spree motor.
yea any little 10 amp automatic charger willl work but i prefer a big manual 100 amp unit because i can play with voltages and feed it 15 volts instead of 12 (charges faster and starts easier).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

It's getting spark now, but its a really puny weak one, not nearly enough to get it to run. I was at first thinking a bad primary coil but the resistance checks turned out fine so I'm thinking it may actually be good... does anyone know telltale signs/more tests for a bad coil?

I also bought a new NGK spark plug cap to replace the cracked old one and it seems to work well enough. The only other thing I can think of that's bad now is maybe the CDI unit... except I don't know how to test the actual unit. Also, my CDI box looks different and is located differently (on left side of bike as opposed to right) than every one I've seen on the internet, does anyone have one like this?
rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

snikro wrote:Also, my CDI box looks different and is located differently (on left side of bike as opposed to right) than every one I've seen on the internet, does anyone have one like this?
Not me. On all the Sprees I've worked on, the CDI was located just like the picture in the service manual.
'86 Spree x 3
DrZ34
Goped
Goped

Post by DrZ34 »

try switching the PRIMARY side of the coil , if the coil is hooked up backwards it will spark however very much reduced output
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

DrZ34 wrote:try switching the PRIMARY side of the coil , if the coil is hooked up backwards it will spark however very much reduced output
You mean switching the 2 leads that go to the coil? (The black/yellow and the green).
DrZ34
Goped
Goped

Post by DrZ34 »

yes