1985 Spree wont start getting some spark

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

willie2124
Noob
Noob

1985 Spree wont start getting some spark

Post by willie2124 »

I just got a 1985 Honda spree. Good shape the guy said he had a new carb and bat. put in last year and a few months later it died and would not start. Its in good shape and he just gave it to me. I dont see a spark on the plug so i put screw driver in the coil and it shocked me but it was not a strong shock. how strong should it be? I need help I want to get this thing on the road!!!!
1985 Honda Spree
2006 Honda TRX 450R
2006 Honda TRX 90
Martin Fox
Noob
Noob

Spark

Post by Martin Fox »

Make sure you are using the right NGK plug, try a new one to make sure. I believe you should be getting a strong blue spark, which you can check by removing the plug from the cylinder head and hold it close enough to the frame to get a spark. I had a weak spark condition which was improved by cleaning the rust off of the little raised rectangle on the flywheel that serves to time the ignition. A little light sanding cleaned off the rust and made the spark considerably better. In that particular episode I had good spark, good gas/air and it still wouldn't start, although it sounded like it wanted to. I sprayed a mixture of liquid soap and water on the cylinder and head and discovered that air was being compressed but leaking out of where the sparkplug connects to the head. A new plug washer and correct torque on the plug solved the problem. Good luck!

Martin