No start after problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Diller
Noob
Noob

No start after problems

Post by Diller »

I'm having a no-start issue with my 86 Spree. First, a piston pin retaiting clip came out and destroyed the cylinder and piston. At the same time (or just about 30 seconds prior), it lost it's headlight and taillight. I've replaced the piston and cylinder. The bike now has compression. It cranks, but still won't start. I've gone through the service manual and have come to the conclusion that the alternator is bad. Is that what creates the spark (aside from the coil), to start the engine??

The reeds are in excellent shape, I cleaned the carb while it was out, by-starter checks out, new plug, fuel getting to the carb........what am I missing????

Diller
86 Spree
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

I would trace your wiring first and make sure all wires seem connected. Make sure your coil wire is connected nice and tight. When all the lights go out suddenly it seems like a wire may have come loose or broke loose from corrosion. If all connections check out then it could be your alternator.
Martin Fox
Noob
Noob

Spark

Post by Martin Fox »

Are you getting a spark at all?
Diller
Noob
Noob

Re: Spark

Post by Diller »

Martin Fox wrote:Are you getting a spark at all?
Nope. Just got a new stator assembly. I checked it and the circuit is open. I have 12v constant, switched 12v, but no power coming out of it to power the headlight/dash lights. I would believe that's related to spark too ?????

Diller
86 Spree
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Headlight and dash light power are supplied solely by the alternator.

-aseigler
Jaycool25
Noob
Noob

Post by Jaycool25 »

Make sure you have a good ground to the chassis, that can cause the problems with spark and potentially with the lights.