Need help, petcock question.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ArPhoto
Noob
Noob

Need help, petcock question.

Post by ArPhoto »

Alright.
for the last couple of days i have been trying to get my 1987 elite 50 S to run. first i replaced the battery and spark plug. with that the engine would turn over but never fire up. the problem was to me obviously fuel. At first through my inexperience with the system i thought the problem would be the "fuel filter". Now i am educated enough to know that the problem is the petcock. Problem is, i took the petcock off and tested its vacuum seal. By sucking on the bottom outlet it would let air pass easily, yet when i would blow into it, air would also escape out of the valve slowly. so as i am thinking, the petcock for my scooter is wrecked. i need to know where i can get a new one. i found one on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-VACU ... enameZWDVW

this is the closest thing i have found to what my petcock looks like. except the bottom outlet on mine is straight.

To get to the bottom of this and wrap it all up. I would like to know if anyone knows of a place i could get a cheap petcock valve or if that one on ebay is indeed a good deal.
thanks in advance.

P.S.- forgot to mention that the tube going from the bottom of the petcock to the carb has a hole in it. where is a good place to get a replacement tube?
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

did you search around the wanted/for sale section here? Some people probably have a bunch of them. As for the vacuum line, you should be able to get that at any auto parts store. Take the old one with you and ask the employee for that size hose
Ridin' Dirty on one of my 1989 Honda Elite E's
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

A vaccuum leak will cause the petcock to not function and the bike will run like s***.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ArPhoto
Noob
Noob

Post by ArPhoto »

i am aware that a leak in a vacuum hose is very bad. but im also concerned with the fact that the valve goes both ways. should it not stop the air from going to the gastank? i though it was a one way valve.

And i have browsed the wanted/sale setion and havent found anything to what i want. the only petcock i have found is the one on ebay and i need to know if that is a good deal or not.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Nope just a open/closed valve. try replacing the vac line and go from there.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ArPhoto
Noob
Noob

Next step

Post by ArPhoto »

Okay, so i have replaced the vacuum tube from the petcock. an dim very possitive that the petcock is the culprit in this situation. when i disconnect the fuel liine from the petcock it just drips gas. when i try to start the engine it seems to be flooding with gas.

i really dont know where to go from here.
thanks
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

I got the e-bay replacement petcocks you mentioned. Nice piece and works fine. The petcock should cut all the way off with no vacuum and pour fuel with vacuum. Sounds like yours is a bit flakey.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?