New-To-Me 1987 Aero

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

New-To-Me 1987 Aero

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

On Sunday I will pick up this bike from a good friend who wants it to go to a "worthy" recipient. I'll do my best. It turns out that it's an '87, not an '85 as he previously told me - according to the year on the Owner's manual, which comes with the bike. He also has a paper copy of the Factory Service manual. The condition of the bike is as follows:

It has sat in a partially dismantled condition -in South Texas heat - for a few years. Until then it was in running condition - he rode it occasionally but had at least 3 motorcycles - so it has not started for at least 3 or 5. There is a new carb rebuild kit still sealed in plastic - he bought it but never got around to the arduous process of cleaning the carb. There are brand-new tires mounted on the rims over a year ago. The body plastic is off, but all present. Overall condition unknown, mileage unknown. It has not started in some time, but Friend says it seems to spin over and compress correctly. There's an unused battery but he got it about 2 years ago. He has a container of Kreme tank coating - also never applied. He does not know for a fact that the tank was rusty but was simply told "you need that..." That's all I know so far.

It occurred to me that this story is probably not unusual for new owners. My general plan is to reassemble in stock condition, paying close attention to the tank and fuel system - not so sure if I'll apply the Kreme because the Motorcycle world is full of sad stories about the stuff. I [b]will[/b] carefully evaluate the interior of the tank, the vacuum petcock and fuel lines, and I will install an inline filter if an apt location can be identified. Of course I will plan a couple of days to soak and clean the carb before reassembling with the new parts. I will note the size of the main jet.

Then I'll assess the reeds for integrity. Also have a look at the exhaust for carbon congestion. I'll make sure there's oil in the feed line and bleed if necessary. Then pump up the tires, add an ounce of oil to fresh gas in the tank and see if I can get it to fire up. Tune the Idle speed/mixture and see if I can get down the block, and more importantly, back home.

I intend to run this Aero stock for a while until I determine what/if performance upgrades are necessary. I will check back next week to share my progress. I would greatly appreciate the advice of this Learned Collective if you identify anything I'm missing. Perhaps someone has posted a "beginner's checklist" somewhere before. If so an URL to it would help me a lot. So far this place has been very welcomiing and helpful.

My thanks to you.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

New spark plug, as well. Also, while you have the muffler off checking for carbon-congestion, check the exhaust port in the cylinder, as well. Also, the petcock may need to be cleaned out, check fuel filter. A new air filter, properly oiled will be critical to get it running right and not too lean.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

You DO sound a little more worthy of an owner than your friend! LOL He had the manual, yet didn't know the year. It was running, yet he took it apart. No love what-so-ever!! Poor little scooter.

Im sure with the help of this website you'll have back up in no time! They got mine running!! :D
Wheelman-111

Getting Started...

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for the replies.

I have purchased a bunch of solvents, including some Sea Foam, carb and brake cleaners, and a quart of Gen-you-wine Soichiro Honda-Approved 2-Stroke oil. Fossil, they were out of Synthetic. Have brushes and tubs and bins to soak stuff.

So my shopping list now includes an inline gas filter and a new plug. I suppose I could look in the online service manual, but what Fire-starter do the Collective experts recommend for a (presumably) stock '87 Aero?

Has anyone ever weighed a new stock Aero muffler? It might be a good way to tell the Carbon content.

Am I missing anything?
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

fire starter=fuel?
91 is always a good bet, plus its only a gallon at a time, and gas is cheeep in texas now, well, relatively at least
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

I was thinking that he meant spark plug. It sparks to light a fire....
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Honda recommendation is the ONLY way to go.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

bpr8hs
the bpr6hsa that is recommended is ok, but not for long WOT situations.
Wheelman-111

Plugz

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for recommending the BPR8 HS (hotter) plug. In fact I purchased a BPR 6 over the weekend before I got back to the Forum and its Collective Wisdom. I will break it in with the 6 keeping mindful not to flog it until I can get back to the Honda store and get the 8.
Wheelman-111
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

good luck with the restoration, some day youll have a very nice aero im sure!