Carb is officially clean, let's see if it works now!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Carb is officially clean, let's see if it works now!

Post by dgsoles »

I can officially see a wee bit of light through my idle jet. It took 6 times, but I can confidently say that my carburetor is clean. Now, I just need to hook it up to the Spree and see how she runs. I'll keep you guys posted, you've been an amazing help.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

Mine also!! Good luck!
Wheelman-111

Idle Orifice

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

To assess the Idle port in the carb, where do you hold the light (in a dark room) and where do you sight? Pictures appreciated. Thanks.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

As I took the carb to work, I cannot send pictures (maybe when I get home, we'll see how the kids are doing). But, I'll try to explain in words. I take a nice, 8 LED light and the carb into a dark room. I then hold the LED light right up to where the throttle cable screws into the carb. I turn the carb over , cover the main jet with one of my fingers (so it doesn't outshine the idle jet), and look through the idle jet. I see a decent little spot of light (definitely wouldn't see it in a bright room, though).
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

dgsoles wrote:As I took the carb to work, I cannot send pictures (maybe when I get home, we'll see how the kids are doing). But, I'll try to explain in words. I take a nice, 8 LED light and the carb into a dark room. I then hold the LED light right up to where the throttle cable screws into the carb. I turn the carb over , cover the main jet with one of my fingers (so it doesn't outshine the idle jet), and look through the idle jet. I see a decent little spot of light (definitely wouldn't see it in a bright room, though).
Its clean.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Ok guys, got home, put the carb on. After sucking on the petcock and filling the bowl with gas, it fired right up. I let the bystarter engage and the idle die down, and it kept running. Took it out for a spin, and it runs amazing!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

AWESOME :mrgreen:
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Hmmm...scratch that, new problem. About 2 hours after I took the bike out, I wanted to show it to my 3 year old. Problem was, I couldn't get the d*** thing started. I hadn't touched anything since I rode the bike 2 hours before, and it was running fine when I shut it off. I tried to choke it at the intake ports on the air-box, I took the plug out and ran some steel wool through it (even though this may be the problem, the plug looks about pitch black, I'm guessing from running it with all of the carb problems before, I'm also premixing my gas to help with the piston ring break in). The thing would not fire.....at all. The plug was getting blue spark, and it was definitely getting gas. I don't know what I did, but, after taking all of the shrouds and the air box off, and detaching and reattaching the spark plug and boot several times, it just decided to start like nothing was wrong. So, I reassembled the fan shroud, hooked the air box back up, and she fired right up, nice and easy. This is an odd problem.....I'll see if it happens again in the morning.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

dgsoles wrote:Hmmm...scratch that, new problem. About 2 hours after I took the bike out, I wanted to show it to my 3 year old. Problem was, I couldn't get the d*** thing started. I hadn't touched anything since I rode the bike 2 hours before, and it was running fine when I shut it off. I tried to choke it at the intake ports on the air-box, I took the plug out and ran some steel wool through it (even though this may be the problem, the plug looks about pitch black, I'm guessing from running it with all of the carb problems before, I'm also premixing my gas to help with the piston ring break in). The thing would not fire.....at all. The plug was getting blue spark, and it was definitely getting gas. I don't know what I did, but, after taking all of the shrouds and the air box off, and detaching and reattaching the spark plug and boot several times, it just decided to start like nothing was wrong. So, I reassembled the fan shroud, hooked the air box back up, and she fired right up, nice and easy. This is an odd problem.....I'll see if it happens again in the morning.
You were holding you mouth wrong the first time. So however you held it the last time, use it next time. :lol:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

LOL gotta have that magic touch.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.