Spree leaks a tank of fuel OverNite =(

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Spree leaks a tank of fuel OverNite =(

Post by KillinSpree »

Ok so i got done riding my spree yesterday before work and had no problems wut so ever. But when i shut it off and came back out a couple minutes later it was leaking gas out of the carb! i thought it was no big deal its just overflow or somethin

now when i came home this morning from work i started it up and my fuel needle was almost on E. It leaked almost a whole tank of gas overnite! Now i no sprees pretty well but im juss to tired to think wut could be wrong so help me out guys :D

p.s. its not leaking from the bowl its leaking from the little overflow tube just above the bowl kinda on the other side of the carb!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Fuel flow is gravity-dependent. Because the carb has to be open to the air - to mix with the fuel when the engine is running, think of the carb as an open pipe dangling below the tank. It is a drain.

Because liquid wants to flow down a drain Mr. Honda designed in two obstructions to this flow when you turn off your engine:

1. The fuel petcock. When the engine stops, it stops supplying vacuum to the diaphragm within the valve assembly. WHEN IT'S WORKING CORRECTLY, a little valve is supposed to shut off and plug the drain in the line that leads to the carb bowl. Yours is not doing this. If the fuel line is cracked - rubber gets brittle and vibrations are constant - this alone could explain your leak. If the fuel line is intact, the next feature prevents the fuel from leaking out the carb:

2. The float needle. When THAT is working correctly as the bowl of the carb fills, ithe float rises on top of the fuel and applies pressure to a little rubber-tipped cone that plugs the hole leading from #1, preventing the bowl from filling above the desired level. If it does not, the fuel keeps right on filling the bowl until it climbs up the jet tubes and out the carb throat.

Both of these features can be defeated by spooge from the tank. Rust, resin gums, spiders, leaves bugs, you name it. It sounds like you need to identify the source of your malfunction, starting with a thorough inspection of the inside of the tank, the fuel strainer, lines, etc.

I am sorting this very problem out on an ancient 1987 Aero. Messy, nasty work. The good news is that I am finding valuable artefacts from pre-history encased in the Amber resin I am scooping out of the fuel system. :? Stand by for my posts on this adventure.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Thats all fine, but if you want it short and sweet, its the float. As long as you have the drain screw tight, it must be that. My petcock has been broken for awhile and it still doesn't overflow. The float is there to keep that from happening. Take it apart and check it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Short and sweet is good. Float could be the problem, maybe not. Cracked fuel line at the carb + defective petcock could do it too. It's a siimple thing to check before you pull the carb.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Plain and simple, you have two problems. First, your petcock is not working. If it was no fuel could reach the carb. Second, your needle and seat aren't, seating that is and that's why the fuel is leaking out the bowl vents. If ypou are not running a fuel filter, you should, because there is probably a piece of dirty in both the petcock valve and the needle and seat. On your last fill up chances are you got some "dirty" gas.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

I cleaned the carb completely right when i got the scooter but never messed with the fuel petcock! so you guys think it might be that the fuel petcock is just dumping fuel into my carb and not working right?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

KillinSpree wrote:I cleaned the carb completely right when i got the scooter but never messed with the fuel petcock! so you guys think it might be that the fuel petcock is just dumping fuel into my carb and not working right?
Yes, the petcock is bad, but so is your carb. If the needle and seat were operating properly then even a bad petcock won't over flow the carb like it is doing to you.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

im just gunna take off the petcock an clean it out good! If that doesnt work its time to buy a new one and possibly carb work or a new carb :evil:
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Why don't you just listen to me... Petcocks are nice, but are not required. You still NEED to fix the float because that is your major problem. Its not hard at all, just take off the bowl and then the float and make sure everything is clean and nice looking, then reassemble and see if it fixes it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A petcock malfunction + a fouled float needle can result in a puddle of gasoline under your bike. If you don't think that's a hazard, then you don't need to repair or replace your petcock. Just don't hang out with sloppy smokers. :wink: See if you can clean/repair your petcock first. The Tech section has a post or two, and the Service Manual describes the Official Procedure.

If you do tear into this thing, may I suggest that you visit your nearest Auto Parts store and purchase an inline fuel filter? They're about $3, come in several sizes. The transparent ones allow you to eyeball assess the content of your fuel and prevent little specks of spooge from fouling the little float needle next time which is very likely to occur otherwise. If you do that, - and check the filter regularly - I agree a petcock is not mandatory.

In that case you WILL need to cap/plug the vacuum line from the manifold to prevent air entry and a dangerously lean condition. The filter can be fitted even if you retain your petcock - just cut it into the fuel line below the petcock as a backup. Couldn't hoit.

Ride on!
Wheelman-111
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

A petcock malfunction + a fouled float needle can result in a puddle of gasoline under your bike. If you don't think that's a hazard, then you don't need to repair or replace your petcock. Just don't hang out with sloppy smokers. :wink: See if you can clean/repair your petcock first. The Tech section has a post or two, and the Service Manual describes the Official Procedure.

If you do tear into this thing, may I suggest that you visit your nearest Auto Parts store and purchase an inline fuel filter? They're about $3, come in several sizes. The transparent ones allow you to eyeball assess the content of your fuel and prevent little specks of spooge from fouling the little float needle next time which is very likely to occur otherwise. If you do that, - and check the filter regularly - I agree a petcock is not mandatory.

In that case you WILL need to cap/plug the vacuum line from the manifold to prevent air entry and a dangerously lean condition. The filter can be fitted even if you retain your petcock - just cut it into the fuel line below the petcock as a backup. Couldn't hoit.

Ride on!
Rather than use just any inline filters from an auto parts store. Stick wih filters designed for lawn mowers. They have less flow restriction as they are designed for gravity feel fuel systems (very low pressure) where all automotive filter are designed for a pressure system, ie a fuel pump.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Good advice. What he said.
Wheelman-111
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

So come to find out it was my fuel petcock! Like you guys said it needs vacum on the bottoom line coming from the intake to let the gas come threw the top line to the carb. With the petcock i got i suck on the bottom line and its bringing in air from the top line as if the two lines are one! Let me no what you guys think before i spend $30 bucks on a new one! thanks guys :D