air screw is missing!!!!! how could this have happened?????

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

air screw is missing!!!!! how could this have happened?????

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

so i am riding my spree home and i notice that the bike keeps shutting down when i come to a complete stop. it will not idle for longer than 3 secs or so before turning off. upon removal of the side fairing, i notice that the air screw is missing from the carburetor!!!! it is literally frickin missing. ive had nothing but problems with this bike. does anyone know how an airscrew can just go missing? i just ordered a new airscrew and it set me back 18$ i would like to know how this couldve happened so that i dont have to spend another 18$ on a d*** screw. is this a common thing to happen? just to be sure, on an 87 spree, there are three screws, the one on the bottom is the drain, the top one with the spring is the idle, and the middle one to the left is the air screw right? well i have to go to work, please someone help, im sure this is not normal behavior!
1987 honda spree (red)
gibson sg standard (ebony)
vox ac30cc2
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The low-speed idle MIXTURE screw is usucally inserted over a small coil spring whose role is (in part) to keep pressure on the threads and prevent the screw from randomly turning with engine vibration, etc. The spring fits all the way inside the carb, so you couldn't see it under normal operating conditions. The only way I see for it to back itself out is to be installed without said spring. The Tech section has service manuals that show a diagram of the carb under the Fuel System chapter so you can see what I mean. A new screw without the spring is likely to disappear like the old one.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

so you are saying that the idle screw AND the air screw should both have springs on them? as i remember, the idle screw (top) has a spring on it and requires a philips head (X) to turn it, whereas my air screw had no spring i dont believe and required a philips head (-) to turn it. so you believe that was the problem? are you saying that if it had a spring on it, it wouldnt have came out? i have had this bike for like 3 months now riding it consistently and just now for that to happen, it kinda sucks. i appreciate the help, get back to me if you can. if i can definitely be sure that was the problem, it will give me a little more confidence to ride it again without fear of something else breaking. ive put more money into fixing this beater than the price of the bike itself. well i gtg to work thanks, and if anyone else has any thoughts or help feel free to leave some messages ill readthem wen i get home peace.
1987 honda spree (red)
vox ac30cc2
minihondaclub
Noob
Noob

Post by minihondaclub »

The Wheelman is correct.

It's the spring that was missing that let your airscrew completely back out. I had a similar problem with my Spree and found I had to order a new screw b/c I could not find just the spring. I just ordered it from the dealer for $12 bucks! It was cheaper online, but after shipping it was almost the same.

Good luck and make sure you have a spring before you put in the new screw.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

minihondaclub wrote:The Wheelman is correct.

Good luck and make sure you have a spring before you put in the new screw.
Yup. No spring = lost screw. :roll:

CaptDan
xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

thanks all. you guys really are the best, much appreciated!!!!
1987 honda spree (red)
vox ac30cc2
xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

i have been riding this scoot for like 4 months now and i work on it like every week, and just now it decides to fall out? seems strange to me
1987 honda spree (red)
vox ac30cc2
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

xsk3l3t0rx wrote:i have been riding this scoot for like 4 months now and i work on it like every week, and just now it decides to fall out? seems strange to me
Was the mixture screw left untouched the entire time? If not, you may have accidently forgotten to reinstall the spring (easy to do, I've been there). Then, days, even a couple weeks later, after vibrations cause it to slowly back out.....P L I N G! It finds its new home under a sewer grating somewhere. :roll:

CaptDan
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

xsk3l3t0rx wrote:so you are saying that the idle screw AND the air screw should both have springs on them? as i remember, the idle screw (top) has a spring on it and requires a philips head (X) to turn it, whereas my air screw had no spring i dont believe and required a philips head (-) to turn it. so you believe that was the problem? are you saying that if it had a spring on it, it wouldnt have came out?
Not only should it have the spring, there should also be a tiny washer and o-ring. If the spring is not there they won't get compressed against the seat and seal properly. See my post here.

Clive
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc