Electric start will not start, but kickstart works everytime

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

pirlgirl
Noob
Noob

Electric start will not start, but kickstart works everytime

Post by pirlgirl »

I have tried everything reccomended searching this forum.
Good Spark, Good compression, and it runs great after kickstarting it.
Yes, it turns over when you press the button. For as long as the battery will go, it all you get is cheen cheen cheen cheen...
All the connections are clean and connected.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Since you can kickstart it, the problem is with the starter.

Sometimes they can burn out a little, so they still spin but not with enough torque/RPMs to start the motor. I don't have any experience with the starter (I haven't bought a battery yet), so I don't know how to check it.

Either search the forums or someone with more experience will probably chime in.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Try holding the throttle open while cranking.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

PirlGirl has compression, spark and fuel. Starts on Kick, spins but will not start electrically.

Is it possible that somehow the operation of the starter circuit leaves insufficient juice to power the ignition simultaneously? Seems unlikely, as the current draw of a starter motor is far greater than that required to create spark.

Is there an interlock malfunction? Some bikes require holding the brake while operating the starter. Others require the bike to be on the stand. Make, model and year might help if someone with the same bike has experienced the same symptoms.

It's an interesting challenge.

Look for obvious things around the starter motor and the Engine Control Module. Wires pinched in bodywork, stripped insulators?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

PirlGirl has compression, spark and fuel. Starts on Kick, spins but will not start electrically.

Is it possible that somehow the operation of the starter circuit leaves insufficient juice to power the ignition simultaneously? Seems unlikely, as the current draw of a starter motor is far greater than that required to create spark. Ignition and everything else have separate stator windings, they will spark just the same without a battery

Is there an interlock malfunction? Some bikes require holding the brake while operating the starter. Others require the bike to be on the stand. Make, model and year might help if someone with the same bike has experienced the same symptoms. If its cranking the interlock(brake must be engaged) is fine

Look for obvious things around the starter motor and the Engine Control Module. Engine control module? Most complex electronics on a spree/aero/elite is the CDI box. Wires pinched in bodywork, stripped insulators?
Low battery may be to blame but if its cranking constantly that isnt the issue.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Is it possible that somehow the operation of the starter circuit leaves insufficient juice to power the ignition simultaneously? Seems unlikely, as the current draw of a starter motor is far greater than that required to create spark. Ignition and everything else have separate stator windings, they will spark just the same without a battery

Is there an interlock malfunction? Some bikes require holding the brake while operating the starter. Others require the bike to be on the stand. Make, model and year might help if someone with the same bike has experienced the same symptoms. If its cranking the interlock(brake must be engaged) is fine

Look for obvious things around the starter motor and the Engine Control Module. Engine control module? Most complex electronics on a spree/aero/elite is the CDI box. Wires pinched in bodywork, stripped insulators?
Low battery may be to blame but if its cranking constantly that isnt the issue.
True about the ignition, except if the starter is cranking the motor over slow, the spark will be weaker. Hence a bad starter can cause this problem.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
roadcapDen
Goped
Goped

Post by roadcapDen »

Never heard a "cheen" before but check out my recent thread for some good areas to look at offered by the experts here.

I've eliminated everything except the actual wire going to the starter from the relay, all others have been bypassed, will continue work on it tonight.
My problem is that the starter will only turn over about 1/2 revolution to the compression stroke and then it "whirrss"

good luck!
roadcapDen
2 Harleys
4 Mopeds
1 Vespa 1 Spree 1 Beluga
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

roadcapDen wrote:My problem is that the starter will only turn over about 1/2 revolution to the compression stroke and then it "whirrss"

good luck!
That sounds like a starter pinion engagement issue.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Re: Electric start will not start, but kickstart works every

Post by Clivester »

pirlgirl wrote:I have tried everything reccomended searching this forum.
Yes, it turns over when you press the button. For as long as the battery will go, it all you get is cheen cheen cheen cheen...
If you jump it with a good 12V battery (like car battery) will it start?

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
pirlgirl
Noob
Noob

Post by pirlgirl »

Clivester wrote:

Clive.
1986 Spree
Yes, we tried with the a charger start. It turns over good and strong. Everything goes like it is ready to start, it just doesn't. We have it on the stand and hold the brake.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

pirlgirl wrote:
Clivester wrote:

Clive.
1986 Spree
Yes, we tried with the a charger start. It turns over good and strong. Everything goes like it is ready to start, it just doesn't. We have it on the stand and hold the brake.
Normally a charger, unless it has a hott start feature for 50 amps or more, won't help much. A battery can dump 50 to 100 amps into a starter easy.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
pirlgirl
Noob
Noob

Post by pirlgirl »

Yes, the charger has a hot start.
A new clue has arose. I thought the headlight was burnt out because it never came on when the scooter is running. We tested it today and it works, it just doesn't come on when it's running.
This scooter runs great, it just doesn't start with the electric start, only with kickstart.
We have checked all the connections....Right now the scooter is bare.
We don't have any plastic shrouds, or covers on it so we can access and test things. The gas guage, oil light, speedo all work.
Since the shrouds are off, the turn signals aren't connected, would that have anything to do with he headlight not functioning?
Could the headlight have anything to do with the electric start?
I know it sounds silly, but something weird is going on, and I appreciate everyone's input thus far....just keep the ideas coming.
pirlgirl
Noob
Noob

Post by pirlgirl »

devenex wrote:Since you can kickstart it, the problem is with the starter.

Sometimes they can burn out a little, so they still spin but not with enough torque/RPMs to start the motor. I don't have any experience with the starter (I haven't bought a battery yet), so I don't know how to check it.

Either search the forums or someone with more experience will probably chime in.
The starter has plenty of torque.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

pirlgirl wrote:Yes, the charger has a hot start.
A new clue has arose. I thought the headlight was burnt out because it never came on when the scooter is running. We tested it today and it works, it just doesn't come on when it's running.
This scooter runs great, it just doesn't start with the electric start, only with kickstart.
We have checked all the connections....Right now the scooter is bare.
We don't have any plastic shrouds, or covers on it so we can access and test things. The gas guage, oil light, speedo all work.
Since the shrouds are off, the turn signals aren't connected, would that have anything to do with he headlight not functioning?
Could the headlight have anything to do with the electric start?
I know it sounds silly, but something weird is going on, and I appreciate everyone's input thus far....just keep the ideas coming.
Sounds like you may well have an alternator issue. The headlight is suppose to be on it's own section of the alternator, but if the coils are screwed, then without testing (ohms checking the coils) you are never gonna know.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
pieater842
Noob
Noob