muff cleanin

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

muff cleanin

Post by scooterwerx »

so i picked up an 86 jog, the funny looking duckbill one, PO had stored it for ??? years, fuel system was clogged with pure crust, after a good cleaning, and a carb cleaning that wasnt "just spraying some carb cleaner in it, man", it runs awesome, 43mph GPS, bone f-ing stock! once the thing has been going for a while, the exhaust starts pouring out smoke like its at a bob marley concert, once it cools down its fine, until it warms up again. is there really that much carbon in there? and why does it run so good? whats the best way to clean the exhaust out on these?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: muff cleanin

Post by hondaman »

You did not mention if you changed the oil? If so what kind did you put in?
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I've read of 2 methods on here. First would be chemical decarbonizing: This method I have tried myself works great just time consuming. Use a five gallon bucket and mix with original draino and water. I would use one gallon draino to 4 parts water. Let it soak in the solution for hours at a time then drain the insides then repeat. A steady stream of water after to clear it out helps do the trick. Next would be the heat method. Throw it in the BBQ grill or campfire and that is supposed to clear it out. I've never tried this so I cant say. There is something in the tech docs tho
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

I used both the above methods on mine. Except instead of draino I was using oven cleaner. I had an idea that I thought would work well but didn't ever try, which is to cut a length of tube that will fit over the nozzle on a can of the foaming oven cleaner, poke some holes on the other end and slide the tube into the exhaust, spray it and let the foam flow thorugh the tube into the muffler, then let it sit and soak, rinse and repeat. I figured the foam would fill the chamber and clean really well. Just a thought.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

that oven cleaner sounds like a good idea, wonder how that and drano mix! hahah
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Be careful!!!! you dont wanna be blowin s*** up now!!! :mrgreen:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Pretty sure oven cleaner and draino are both lye based, can't say I would recommend mixin em though. All you need is the lye, it eats carbon.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

freshman year one of the cleaning ladies in my dorm hit a pretty bad stain and decided to mix up a super powerful cleaning solution: bleach and ammonia. She basically made mustard gas in an enclosed bathroom, passed out immediately and set the alarms. I watched firemen dressed in haz-mat gear, full respirators go in and pull her out with an oxygen tank strapped to her chest.

I'm sure your mixing idea would be fine, though. :lol:
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Any person in their right mind knows that. i know that when i was like 11. lol
Kinda like if you mix drain-o and tinfoil, and put it in a 2- liter. it'll blow up. lol
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

toboggan wrote:Any person in their right mind knows that. i know that when i was like 11. lol
Kinda like if you mix drain-o and tinfoil, and put it in a 2- liter. it'll blow up. lol
I knew a guy who did that in a folger's coffee can and it blew the lid right into his face, he had a ring imprinted where the edge of the lid hit :shock:
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i know all about things exploding, im lucky enough to still have all 10 fingers (and toes), we used to make gas bombs, brake fluid and pool chlorine tablets, put it in a bottle, shake, and run...sounds like a good way to clean this thing out, eh?
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

haha, take pics for sure...video would be even better
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

i guess i thought i was on another site; i saw the topic of "muff cleanin" and i got a different visual.... HAHAHA! :lol:

i know for a fact that the welding torch method (i think that this method has been stickied on the site) works the BEST - i use this method regularly at the shop i work at -but it runs the risk of severe burns and melting your muffler if ya dont know what you are doing.

later, jc
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I recently asked this @ the dealer and the tech told me to put some deisel fuel inside of it then light it on fire. That's straight from Honda!
jguy
BMX
BMX

Post by jguy »

I was at a strip bar once and yelled out, "Hey, you need a muff cleanin!" and got thrown out. I don't know if oven cleaner would have been good enough, though.
'86 Spree
'80 Motobecane 50V
Just Ride