Oil leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

porter92
BMX
BMX

Oil leak

Post by porter92 »

Hi,

Have an '86 Spree that is really leaking oil now. Having a hard time telling exactly where but it looks like might be the oil pump. I know there are seals in the pump but I dont know anything more than that. It is running fine. Here are a few pics of the oil leak issue:

Seems to leak these huge puddles of oil like this:

And oil is all over the kickstand as seen here:

The top of the oil pump is clean:

Wheelman-111

Re: Oil leak

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You may have to start pulling stuff off to determine the source. Hopefully it's a loose or fissured hose. I had a drip from a leaking exhaust port at one time - I was sure it was coming from the pump area, but it was just dripping down from above. Yours looks more like a line or seal leak however. That supply line looks awfully close to the headpipe. Maybe feel under there?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

o- ring on pump shaft may be worn, if you change it and it still leaks the pump is shot, they are not rebuildable.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Your Spree actually came with a very RARE option called the "Kickstand Anti-Rust Device"...
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
coolgangsta24
Noob
Noob

Post by coolgangsta24 »

That pump looks pretty clean. If you can smell gas mixed with the oil then you might have a leak around the crankcase.
porter92
BMX
BMX

Post by porter92 »

Yeah, don't smell gas but I wondered if the crankshaft seals are worn and leaking. I was also wondering if I can remove the oil pump and inspect the seal on it? Don't think the line is leaking since I just replaced it because of this issue thinking it might be the problem. It does seem almost like oil is backing up from the pump and coming out the top of the line where its connected to the oil tank too. I do need to do further inspection to determine the source of the leak. Yeah, that kickstand wont rust for sure with all that oil on it!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Crankcase leak along with a probably bad oil pump(you can replace the seal that fails in these). Be careful, ca ase leak can and will lean it out and melt the piston. Start taking off covers to find the source.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Looks like it's time to pull the plastic and cleaned up with high pressure washer. It's hard to spot the source any other way.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes